Dogs Community
Loss of hair around the eyelids

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Loss of hair around the eyelids

I have a black lab that is seven months old. She started losing some hair around her eyes at the top and bottom part. I took her to the vet to get her spayed and they tested her eyes by doing a skin scrape. They tested her for some type of mange that started with a "D" I cannot remember the exact name. She was tested negative for this disorder, however, her skin continues to show around her eyes. Now she has a small bump on her upper eyelid on the right eye. When I looked at it up close, her skin looked thicken in that area with a small pimple. I was thinking to take her to the vet to get this checked out. Does anyone know what could cause this?? I was thinking that she may developed an allergy to her hair because she is a heavy shedder and lots of her hair is found around her sleeping area. She does not have any bald spots on her anywhere else, therefore, I don't suspect that she is losing her hair. Please advise
The mange she was tested for is called "Demodectic Mange". Has she also been tested for Sarcoptic Mange? I have to admit that some form of mange was my first thought when I read this, but I am not sure what this is really. However I am not definite about this but wonder if the mange mite would be contractable in the winter if it is cold where you live?
What did the vet say about this? Do they have any ideas what could be causing the hair loss around her eyes?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Canine Sarcoptic mange itches and is contagoius to people. Sarcoptes mites often cause hair loss around the ear tips and face but lesions can be generalized in location. Simple loss of hair around the eyes may be simply allergies. Chlorpheniramine maleate 4mg tablets are a mild inexpensive antihistamine effective to relieve minor itching and allergies. Revolution given at 14 day intervals is a current, effective therapy for Sarcoptes.
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
I live in Michigan and it is cold now, however; this started around October/September time frame when it was still pretty warm outside. The vet said that she may be exposed to some kind of allergens. I cannot pinpoint what the allergens are because she has not rubbed her eyes, at least I have not seen her do this. However, my son said he have seen her do this occasionally. She is due for another check-up and flee/heartworm preventative medicine. I am going to address this again to the vet. Thanks for the post.
I have not caught anything from her nor has my son, so that rules out Canine Sarcoptic mange. She does not have any lesions on her eyes, the small bump that I noticed the other day is gone. I noticed that she sneezes alot when I take her outside to relieve herself, so the Chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg tablets may be the answer. I believe after reading your post she has some sort of allergy to something. I am going to address this with my vet. Another question is where can I get this Chlorpheniramine maleate and the Revolution? Does the vet have to prescribe these? I will address that as well. Thanks for the post.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Chlorpheniramine maleate 4mg tablets are available online and the Revolution is a prescription you will need to get from your vet. Sarcoptes mites burrow very deeply under dogs skin so sometimes a deep skin scrape is needed to obtain a diagnosis.
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
I see you've gotten some good advice. Skin issues can be so hard to diagnose!!  I'd follow your Vet's recommendations but, if that should get worse, dermatomiositis (sp?) should be ruled out.