Dogs Community
Low Sodium Dog Food

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Low Sodium Dog Food

I have a dog with congestive heart failure who needs to be on a low sodium diet.  But how much sodium is too much? Canned super premium dog foods have about 700 mg of sodium per can.  Are there any super premium brands that produce a low sodium canned food, or even a dry food?
Hello & welcome......I'm not sure that I have ever seen a food that is actually labeled as "Low Sodium"....I'm sure there is a Prescription Diet for Heart Patients, but I would NOT use it!
If this were my guy, I'd go with prepackaged mixes that you add your own protein source....You make them up fresh and choose any Protein to add....All Vitamins and minerals are in the mixes, but no Salt.....
Check out "Sojourn Farms" Foods, (Sojo's for short) & "Dr. Harvey's" Pet foods.
There is alot of information about healthy food on each of their web pages.....I have ordered online from each of these companies and never had any trouble.....
Good luck & let me know what you think.......Karla
also if you not sure or can not find one you like you could make homemade food there are tons of recipes online that you can do at home this can get expensive so i agree with Karla i would look up low sodium foods and then go to there web sites and read up on ingredients, sodium levels, and what they put in there food and find the one that fits your dogs needs.
Thank you very much for your help.  I actually had an extended conversation with Dr. Harvey, who put me on a couple more nutritional supplements (over and above the dozen or so he'd already been on).  Very educational.  
Your welcome.........I never have tried his supplements, but I do believe his can be trusted.....Did you order some food? I buy his regular mix & veggie mix, and combine them.....You'll have fun with this and your dog will thank you....It's really fun to pick and choose different protein sources....Beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, buffalo, etc. All purchased fresh...It doesn't get any better than that! Don't forget unusual things like sardines! Packed in water of course....Fish is very heart healthy and your dog will go crazy.....

Dr. Harvey's also makes all my dog's FAVORITE treat...They are the "Power Patties". Nothing but Raw freeze dried Green Tripe. Yes, they smell awful, yes, you'll have to wash your hands, but Tripe is probably the healthiest food on the planet for a dog! You have never seen a dog go crazy till you feed them tripe! It's amazing!!!!

OK, I hope you found what your looking for........Take care & keep us updated.....Karla

P.S. One other food I want you to look at for future reference:  "ZiwiPeak". At least go to their web page and read about it.....Their dry food is nothing like anything you have seen before & their canned is excellent, too!  Although it"s made in New Zealand (Where quality control on pet food is very strict), you can get it here. (Online). I doubt that it has any salt in it at all.....It probably is the finest food available, but expensive....Especially, if your feeding a large dog....Anyway, That's my thoughts.....Good luck with your furkid...............

Yes, I ordered the veggie mix.  He's been on grain free for awhile and it seems to be working for his allergies (he's a Cairn Terrier, very prone to skin allergies and he's been fighting them all his life) so I thought it would be best to stay grain free.  

Never mind the smell, I find the very concept of tripe off-putting.  I'm going to have to think on that one.  I'll look into ZiwiPeak.

And Dr. Harvey does seem to be extremely knowledgeable, albeit somewhat opinionated.  I've found that everyone seems to have an opinion on all the herbal remedies I've put him on. (Bailey has also been diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer, based on a fuzzy look to his lung x-ray that didn't turn out to be fluid, but it's been over two months and even the vet that made that call is starting to doubt it ... otherwise the herbal remedies from the holistic vet have been effective beyond all expectations. There's no sign of any primary cancer anywhere.)  I've pretty much taken the approach that if there's no indication it's going to harm him and there's a chance it might help, what the hell, let's give it a shot.

Thanks again for your help, Karla.