Dogs Community
Lumps on dogs eye lid

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Lumps on dogs eye lid

8981296?1364750564
I was wondering if anyone with any experience could tell me what this lump is? We have sent her to vet and told us it was a wart. The vet recommended surgey so instantly we decided that surgery was the best decision so she had the lump removed. 2 weeks later the lump but this time they were 2 instead of one. Both eyes are bllodshot and look very sore. If someone could help me that would be fantastic.
if someone could help please..
Welcome...First, this is NOT a wart!! It's called a "Cherry Eye"...It's actually very common.....They are not necessarily removed, but put back in...Sometimes, you can do this on your own! However, from the looks of the inflammation in the eye, I would suspect a bacterial infection from the surgery....You will need antibiotic drops and soon! That said & if this an older dog & since it's now both eyes, you need to rule out "Dry Eye" called Keratoconjunctivitis......

You need a second opinion from another Vet! I would NOT go back to the one that called this a Wart!!!! There are two simple tests (In house) that will help you clear these eyes up....Bless her heart.....Keep us updated & good luck, Karla
It looks like either a chalazion, which is a lipogranuloma of the meibomian gland in the eyelid.  In simple terms, it's a cyst caused by a blocked meibomian gland.  They look similar to styes, but styes are painful and uncomfortable, chalazia are not.  It could also be a true wart, and if it is, it's caused by the papilloma virus.  If it's a chalazion it will be smooth in texture, if it's a wart it will be bumpy.  

Warts caused by the papilloma virus will disappear on their own in time without surgical intervention. If it involves the meibomian gland, then they can increase in size and become quite a problem for the dog so surgical removal is necessary.  The papilloma virus that causes warts can be spread from dog to dog and is actually quite contagious BETWEEN DOGS, but CANNOT BE SPREAD TO HUMANS.  I just wanted to stress that so you don't worry about it spreading to your human family members after having contact with the dog.

As far as why it has returned, my guess would be that the virus is still in the dog's body.  It's similar to the herpesvirus in that it can lay basically dormant until something stresses the animal and activates it, and then you will start seeing these warts occur.  If they are the kind of warts that go away on their own, I don't know that I would keep subjecting the dog to the rigors of anesthesia to keep having them removed.  If they are meibomian gland adenomas then they will need to be removed so they don't grow and cause the dog discomfort and possibly interfere with his vision.

Ghilly
See, Karla, I initially was looking at the cherry eye-looking thing inside the lower eyelid, but then wondered if they were talking about the little bump along the lower eyelid.  I first started out writing about cherry eye and then noticed the other bump and I deleted it and wrote about warts and chalazia instead.  Hopefully, at least ONE of our responses will help the OP!  :)

Ghilly
Ghilly, I too, was looking at the Cherry Eye.....Let me go back and have another look....I wonder is indeed both eyes have the same growths? Either way, Thanks for catching that!  ;)   Karla