Dogs Community
Lumps on my yorkie... please help!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Lumps on my yorkie... please help!!

My 11 year old yorkshire terrior has developed what looks like ticks all over her skin (mostly around her neck)!! She started getting them about 2 years ago. I brought her to the vet several times, and he said its nothing to worry about but cant help but have this gut feeling that its much worse. The groomer is also concerned about it. She has very dry skin, itches constantly and cant seem to relax. Lately, shes been smelling pretty bad (almost like a mixture of vomit and sweat). Its gotten so bad that almost immediately after I bathe her, she starts smelling bad again. Ive not used any deodarants or sprays on her as I am afraid it will irritate her skin and I use nothing but medicated shampoo. The lumps are about the size of a bean and some have now turned to scabs from her itching them. What do I do to get rid of the smell and possible ease the irritation. I know she suffers badly from it and I have tried to get them treated but feel like the vet isnt taking it seriously. It kills me to think she could be in pain or uncomfortable as she is like a child to me.
Hi Savannah......What your describing is either a Bacterial infection or Yeast Infection.....I think the Yeast smells the worst!

First, you need to find her a new Vet that will take this issue seriously! She is miserable and needs to be treated.....The Vet can actually do a skin scrap of the lesions and send it off to a lab to determine which problem it is.....Antibiotics are used for Bacreria (Usually Staph) and antifungals are used for yeast.....

The medicated shampoo will help if it is for Yeast, also. It will read Malassezia or something like that on the label....A Vinegar Rinse can be used....You want to mix about 30% vinegar to 70% water.....Poor it on after the bath....It will kill the yeast on her skin...

Food plays a vital role in skin problems....What do you feed? If it is a grain heavy diet, you need to change! You want NO wheat, Corn, Soy, By-products, Chemical preservatives, or coloring agents....Read the label on your food....Basically, you want a grain free diet as grains turn to sugar in the system....Yeast feeds off of sugar.....SHe needs a high quality diet that you CANNOT purchase at a discount center or grocery store....Only speciality stores or buy online....

There are many other things to try, but you need to start at another Vet....She needs medication to get this under control!

Adding a good Probiotic to her food daily will help, alot....I don't know which ones are available to you since you are not in the states......A health food store would be the place to find a good one....Your dog would need 1/4 - 1/2 Human dose, daily....

Hope some of this helps.....Good luck.....Karla

P.S. Don't Allow any further Vaccinations for your Yorkie.....Period!