Lumps on the back
My dog will be nine years old this year.  She suffers from some balance problems but lately within the last 3 months she has (use to be 1 lump) 3 lumps on the end of her back.  Sometimes they are quit large and sometimes not.  She  has broke open the skin because they itch.  There was a rabies clinic so I took her to get her shots and just asked the vet what he thought.  (we weren't in an office)  he thought it was a skin infection.  She has always been healthy.  She is a manchester terrier mix.  Can you please tell me what you think.  Is it tumors?
The lumps are near her spine.
If the vet suggested it was a skin infection, did he prescribe any antibiotics to treat it?  If so, did it make a difference?  He may have been referring to a localized skin infection like pimples - just like humans experience.  

I have an 8 year old mutt who began getting sebaceous cysts along her spine a couple years ago.  They tend to come and go and cause no particular trouble.  However, she did get one on her face that required surgical removal.  It got too big and was way too close to her eye for comfort.

There are many different kinds of cysts and tumors.  A tumor can be benign or malignant, and neither will go away on their own.  From what you describe on your dog, I think the vet made a correct idenfication of a skin infection.  You'll want to get that treated promptly so it doesn't spread.
You are best going back to the same Vet when he is actually in the office and able to prescribe Antibiotics for this and or treatment. As You mentioned them changing in size quite often it does just sound like a skin infection where she is itching and making worse while it is not being treated and is uncovered.
Best to have it treated before the infection gets worse, it may need to be covered to stop her from rubbing her mouth and teeth on it and it wouldn't be comfortable for her.
Best of luck