Dogs Community
Lumps/welts

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Lumps/welts

My dog has developed a strange reaction to something, not sure what.  He get's welts all over his body including his face.  This started when the cold weather began in October.  He'll be outside between 5 to 15 minutes and when he comes back in he's covered.  They last for about an hour, don't seem to be itchy.  I've tried benadryl as advised by his vet and it doesn't seem to make them go away any faster.  Any idea what this could be?
Tags: lumps, welts, Dogs
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Will be 6 yrs old in Jan
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Beagle/Boxer mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 25, 2011
City
:  
Northfield
State/Province
:  
NH
Country
:  
US
Blood Test Results
:  
n/a
X-Ray Results
:  
n/a
Other pertinent test results
:  
n/a
Bump....
I wish I could help! I really have no idea.....I guess you have checked out the possibility of him brushing up against some plant, shrub or other? My dog likes to brush up against shrubbery (for some reason!) in the garden....maybe yours does the same, and you just don't see him do it?
It sounds rather like it's to do with where he sniffs about, as it affects his face and muzzle. And most likely an allergic reaction or irritation of some kind.
What we often don't realize is that there are many garden plants and shrubs we take for granted, which can either be toxic for dogs, or because they come into closer contact with them than we do -can cause reactions.
Next time he goes out, go out there too, and see if you can catch him sniffing against some plants or whatever.
In addition to some plants and bushes, that can be irritating or toxic to dogs (so identify your plants and shrubs and check them out carefully in a plant book or online) - there are also dangerous substances that we use in our gardens that can be dangerous and sometimes fatal to dogs and cats. Such items include (of course) weed killers, moss killer, disinfectants, patio and decking cleaners. If you are certain it occurs only after he has been outside and have checked and discounted poisonous plants and shrubs, then it is almost certainly a substance you have or are using in the garden.

Allergies are often difficult, as it is a question of gradual identification of the problem and eliminating it from use. Ginger899 makes a very good point of watching what your dog does when he goes out, seeing where he sniffs and what he rubs up against.
Hello & welcome.....I assume your talking about "Hives"....Is it EVERY time he goes out or just a certain time of day? Let us know......Karla
Sounds like hives...can you get a photo...?  
My Boxer is terribly allergic to insects....and especially hornets or wasps.
Could it be some type of insect...?  Where do you live, and how has the weather been there...?  
An Allergic reaction can come from something  inhaled, injested, direct contact, or injected (as bee stings or thorny plants piercing the skin )
Follow him around...(as previously suggested. )That is what I had to do. Keep a journal...hopefully you will see a pattern appear.
I know you feel that the Benedryl doesn't seem to do any good, but it will take about 30 minutes after giving it, before the bumps..( if they are hives ) will start to disappear, and it may take several hours for most of  the bumps to disappear. If it is hives, most of the bumps should disappear before the first dose of benedryl  is out of his system. If there are still bumps present after the first dose has wore off, give him another dose...as long as the benedryl is in his system, it will also prevent any further hives from developing....and the less hives, the better... When my dog gets a severe reaction, (he has had several hundred quarter size hives develop within minutes ) .. I also have to give Prednisone to him.
Having to give Prednisone is something I try to avoid, and early administration of benedryl has been the key.  As soon as I see any hives on him, he gets benedryl.
So..if you think it is hives, give your dog the benedryl....it will help to control the hives, and keep your dog comfortable.  
Connie
It's actually nothing listed in any of your emails.  I appreciate the input though.  They're not hives, they're not itchy.  The medication the vet gave me didn't help, it had prednisone in it and it didn't work at all. he still had them for the same amount of time that he does without it.  He actually gets wired and drinks LOTS of water.  He's 6 yrs old and this is the first year this has happened.  It only started when it got cold.  We live in NH and when it gets below 40 he gets them.  They last for a little over an hour and then they go away.  I'm trying a jacket on him just in case it is the cold but he doesn't like to do his business when he has it on.  He's out there no longer than 15 minutes on a cable attached to our deck.  My uncle suggested cod liver oil to help his coat so I was going to pick that up and give it a shot.  Otherwise I am at a loss and thought I would throw this question out here in case anyone else has seen it.  
Yes...believe it or not, it can be an allergy to the cold air....it is called Cold Urticaria.....A sweater / jacket may take care of things nicely.....but you may still need benedryl....I'm not sure what else can be done, but...you could do a websearch and see whats out there.
I'm not saying that is definitely what your dog has, but it is a possibility.
Connie
Just to explain myself better, Urticaria is just the medical word for hives....and as far as the cold air....it is both inhaled and comes in contact with the skin....so it could be an allergic reaction....
Connie