Dogs Community
MY 2 yr old puggle is still not potty trained!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My puggle (pug/beagle) still has accidents all the time. Not only in my house, but when i take her over a frinds she will do it there too... I take her out all the time.. when she goes i reward her and she is crate trainded while im gone. She has never had an accident in her crate, but i smell pee on the carpets. I never have caught her in the act either to tell her No. I am at my wits end and i cant afford class's to help... What do i do???
The best way to prevent accidents is to never let her out of your sight. Keep her kenneled when you aren't home(which it sounds like you are doing), and keep her on a leash with you at all times until the accidents stop. Dogs will prefer a certain substrate when going to the bathroom and yours may just love carpet. You need to retrain her to go somewhere else. Make sure she doesn't have some sort of urinary tract infection as well. Good Luck! I know it isn't easy, but you can do it!
I have several friends who work in various boarding kennels and they HATE to see beagles coming in because for some reason, beagles just don't seem to housebreak very well and consistently mess up their kennels at night and, what's worse, don't seem to care.  I have no personal experience with beagles so I can't say that I have seen any of this, but these folks have no reason to be untruthful so I have to think there must be at least some shred of truth to it.  I have also heard that beagles are notoriously stubborn and difficult to deal with when it comes to training, but again, just as every breed has its opponents, there are also the proponents who maintain that beagles are not easier or more difficult to train, they are all individuals and must be assessed on a case by case basis.  I know this doesn't help you at all, I am just passing it along as it may or may not relate to this thread.

Ghilly
thanks guys...
The weird thing is she is trainded... she listens to me. When i leave everyday i tell her to go to her crate and she goes and has never ever had an accident in there... Im not sure whats going on with her having accidents all over my carpets.. I tested her yesterday for an infection and she is clear of that. Is there any other tricks i can do like a bell at the door?
Some dogs are reluctant to bark....I have 2 of them....(my boxers)
So I have trained them to ring the bells when they need to go outside.
Attach some bells on a string. When you attach these to the door knob, make sure they hang low enough for her to bump with her nose.
Before bringing her out....ring the bells...and say "Out"
You can encourage her to ring the bells herself, by rubbing a little butter, peanut butter, dog food, etc...on the bells.
Everytime she rings the bells, even if she does not have to go to the bathroom, put her outside...and say "Out"  be sure to praise her.
Do this until she gets the hang of it.
This works beautifully for my dogs. And I also taught my Mothers dog how to do this.
Now...as far as your carpets go, you need to by a good enzymatic cleaner, and shampoo the carpets.
Until she learns to go outside,whenever she pees on the carpets, be sure to clean well. You need to remove any scent she leaves, or she will think it is OK to continue to pee there.
Good Luck....Let us know how it goes.
Connie

thanks so much.. i will try
i have a puggle that is 5 years old and still goes in the house as well. he has his routine and goes outside every morning but if its the middle of the day and im not home...he pees and poops wherever he wants. its so annoying. he is such a good boy and he always knows that its wrong but he still does it. does your puggle also steal your socks and underwear?