Dogs Community
MY BULLDOG IS SCARED OF EVERYTHING,WHAT DO I DO?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I HAVE A OLD ENGLISH BULLDOG THAT IS 2 1/2 YEARS OLD I GOT HIM FROM A OLDER COUPLE WHEN HE WAS 9 MONTHS OLD, AND HE IS SCARED OF EVERYTHING, I MEAN EVERYTHING! IF I OPEN THE DISHWASHER DOOR HE RUNS,IF SOMEONE IS USING THE BROOM TO SWEEP HE GOES OFF BARKING AND BITES AT IT, IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR HANDS HE SEES IT AS A WEAPON FROM A BELT TO A FRYING PAN TO A TAPE MEASURE, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HELP HIM HE RUNS AND HIDES OR HE STARTS BARKING AND CHARGING AND SNAPPING AT IT,  I AM AFRAID HE WILL BITE SOMEONE OUT OF FEAR, HE IS WONDERFUL AROUND ME AND MY HUSBAND AND WHEN HE IS OUTSIDE HE IS A GOOD BOY BUT WHEN HE IS IN THE HOUSE ALL THESE THINGS HAPPEN, CAN ANYONE HELP, HE NEEDS HELP THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO GIVE HIM???????????????
I think you need some help from a certified veterinary behaviorist.  This is not the same thing as a typical "dog trainer" but goes more into the psychology of the dog and how he is socialized with his pack.  The good news is that these kinds of unreasonable fears can be overcome with some help and dedicated work.  You'll probably be surprised at how quickly he comes around.  You just need the right communication tools to work with, which a behaviorist can give you.  You'll also have an unbelievably great relationship with your dog, and what you learn can be applied to any dog you bring into your home.  Think of it as an investment in the rest of your life - and your dog's.  :-)

Give your vet a call and ask for a referral, and make it clear that you want a behaviorist and NOT a trainer.  Believe it or not, some vets really don't seem to know the difference.