Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
MY DOG ATE GRAPES!!!
Today I came home to find an empty bag of grapes on the floor. My dog, Oscar, a 1 1/2 year old lab had eaten about half the bag. Currently, he's @ the emergency vet clinic getting a gastric lavage and IV fluids for 36-72 hrs. Do a lot of dogs make it through unharmed?
Cancel
12 Answers
Page 1 of 1
274158 tn?1276350787
I am sorry your going through this. I personally don't have any experience with the grape thing (my dog's have eaten many BAD things though!) It's a good thing that you caught it early and took him to the vet. He is in good hands now. Good luck
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
I didn't know dogs could not eat grapes????  What happens?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
274158 tn?1276350787
Grapes are a big no-no! It's actually the skin that is bad. It does something to their kidney's. Strawberries are bad too! Any berry with the little seeds on the outside. It's crazy, there are so many foods that are bad for dogs that I was unaware of. The humane society has a list, if your curious.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
How's Oscar doing???
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
thm
What are the symptoms of dogs eating grapes? My dog has been acting like he's had a stroke! Could grapes be the problem?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
172023 tn?1334675884
Anytime a dog is acting like he's had a stroke, do not waste time looking for answers on the internet.

Get him to a vet fast.  Let us know how he is if you can.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
A week ago, my dog (a beagle) ate several grapes leftover from the inside of a lunchbox.  She didn't get sick, but first thing in the moring most of this past week she won't pee.  But then the rest of the day she's fine.  I sure hope it's because it's minus zero outside and she just doesn't like the cold VS kidney damage!  Now I'm afraid!!!!!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
My puppy (12weeks) may have ingested an unknown amount of vitamin E oil which contains Grapeseed Oil, Safflower Oil and Tocopherol Acetate (Vit. E). I made him vomit up all his breakfast, but I am worried should I take him to the vet?  It is super expensive, I want him to be well, I just want to make sure he needs to go.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
675347 tn?1365464245
How soon after he ate the vitamin E did he vomit? If within an hour or so, it should be fine, and he will no doubt have thrown it all up. If he ate the oil more or less at the same time he ate his breakfast (?) and he threw up all his food, there may be nothing to worry about.
But if you are in ANY doubt at all, take him immediately to the vet!
(I'm sorry -your post is timed "2 hours ago"....I have only just seen it, and know my comment is a bit late.) I hope all is well.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
675347 tn?1365464245
I just did a quick research for you....apparently there is no known toxicity level of Vitamin E in dogs and cats! But I am still unsure of the toxicity of grapeseed oil and safflower oil. It would depend I think on the quantity consumed.
I would still ask your vet's advice.
You definitely did the right thing, in making your dog vomit. Better safe than sorry. If a dog eats anything where there is any question at all about toxicity, it is better to make the dog vomit as soon as possible. Even if you find out later all was well.....
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
There is no evidence to suggest that dogs can be affected by grapeseed oil but grapes themselves are toxic and can cause kidney failure. Im not sure about the other elements that she has eaten, the vets will usually induce vomiting (the sooner the better) and often will follow this with an IV fluid and then possibly charcoal to absorb anything that is left in the stomach. My 4 year old dog also ate grapes and is in the vets at the moment, she has to stay there for 24-48 hours. She was showing no symptoms but due to the potential risks I took her to the vets within the hour which showed to be the best option
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1505147 tn?1289671557
Grapes can cause kidney probelms.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources