Dogs Community
Making treats with fish oil??

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Making treats with fish oil??

Yesterday i learned my dog has allergies. The vet told me to give her fish oil, omega 3, or make her treats with it. I was wondering if the liquid fish oil you buy for dogs is ok to bake with. I'd like to make some treats, but I don't want to risk making my dog sick but cooking the oil. I also don't know if cooking it will defeat the purpose...if it was reduce the effectiveness of the omega 3s. Has anyone tried this before?
Well I am uncertain. My instinct is that heating (ie a baking heat) will change the nutritional qualities of the Omega 3 oils. I might be wrong, but it's possible the chemistry of the oil will change...not certain.
But there would be no harm in adding the Omega 3 oil to her food? Or adding it to a little mashed potato or sweet potato, mixing it in, and giving her bits of that as treats OK I know....a little messy...but maybe you could add this to her food?)
It's also possible she will like the oil for its own flavour, and she might just lick it straight from a spoon?
Oh I know a better, easier way!
Get the Omega 3 capsules (if they are supplied in capsules) then wrap them either in a piece of cheese, or brown bread, or some of her canned food, and just get her to wolf them down! Job done!
I was thinking the same thing, that baking with it may reduce the effectiveness of it and therefore would defeat the purpose. I think I may just buy the liquid and add it to her food. She is horrible at taking pills. she is currently taking antibiotics for a bactrial infection. We have tried hiding it in meat, treats, peanut butter and cheese...she just eats the good stuff and spits out the medicine. We end up having to use a pill shooter and sticking it down her throat.
oh we're not sticking the pill shooter down her throat....we just put it near the back of her throat and shoot the pill in, she will swallow it that way and doesn't fight us at all....should have mentioned that before
Oh I'm lucky there! I have a dog who eats like a crocodile -predatory eyes watching my hand movements (doesn't even bother if she sees me secreting tablets in the food!) then I launch it at her and-one gulp and it's gone.

With anything vaguely palatable like fish oil etc, it's always worth putting it straight into the food, so they don't go on tablet alert. With some really fussy dogs, they get one whiff of that "nasty medicine they tried to shove down my throat, but I spat back up"....and you can forget trying to add it to their food later, even if it DOESN'T taste so bad! Whereas if they just get used to the taste of it they will accept it with their food