Maltese female question
This is my first female dog, she is a rescue I have had for about a week and just noticed this(see photo) is this normal?
Sorry for the dirtyness she is going in for a hair cut this weekend. she was a stray, the person i got her from had taken her to a vet to get her scanned and she didnt have a chip.  She had her for about a week and no one claimed her.  She was super skinny you could put a figure in between her ribs, she was giving wet found that went right though her.
Any help would be great.
Here is another pic
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8434364864_b40e842427_b.jpg
Hi Mat & welcome to the forum.....Did the first woman not take her for a Vet check?  :(  The swollen Vulva IS normal when a female is in Heat/Season! Hopefully, she isn't pregnant!!!  Bless her heart!

Any food (Be it canned or anything else) should not just pass through her system.....More than likely she has parasites (Worms) that is causing the problem.....May be why she's so thin, also.....Worms are common in dogs & very common in strays!

Hopefully, you have made an appointment with a Vet (Before the groomer) to have this little girl checked out.  Take a fecal sample with you so they can check for worms...DO NOT use an OTC wormer....They are dangerous & normally don't work.....Your Vet will provide the proper medication...

Parasites will be the first thing they consider when diarrhea is involved...They will also take her temperature to see if it's elevated...On the other hand, she may be sick......Please, get her to the Vet ASAP & on the road to recovery.........

Have them check for pregnancy, too......Good luck & let us know how she's doing.....Karla

P.S. Keep her away from ALL intact males while she's in cycle or your asking for trouble.....Can be very damaging for her, too!
Thanks for the reply.  The person did take her to the vet and was told she was fixed because he saw the scare.  Now it was a military vet on base, but going to have her checked out.  When i say passed right though her i just met she was gorging herself for the first few days because she was not used to getting food.  She would eat till she puked.  She is much better now and starting to put on weight.  My male dog(who is fixed) doesn't follow her around trying to mate just licks the area from time to time.
Well, you got me! I'm not sure, now.....If the Vet saw a scar, then she is spayed.....Have you seen any droplets of blood or discharge?

Maybe this is just her anatomy, but personally I would want it checked out.....

Hopefully, someone else will come by to give you more information than I did! Please, do come back & let us know what your Vet says.....Karla