Dogs Community
Mast cell with chemo failure

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Mast cell with chemo failure

My 15 yr old cockerpoo was dx w/mast cell ca multiple tumors to many and large to remove with surgery.
So we tried chemo and cytoxin with prednisone for eight weeks, responded great tumors almost completely
gone. Went on a once a month protocol and after six weeks the tumors are coming back and seem growing very
fast. New protocol more aggressive chemo which can have bad side effects or do nothing and let him go.
I love this animal and only want what is best for him but the vet says he will be gone within a month without anything.
And right now he plays, and runs around doesn't even act sick. So my question is how do I do nothing or should I do nothing and let nature take its course. The vet says there isn't a right or wrong here because he has had a good life.
It's just knowing when to say good-bye. Anyone one else had to make this decision or any suggestion...
Tags: mast cell
Indeed, I am a "senior" myself and so my empathy is personally felt.  When we adopted our current Westie rescue last April he was estimated to be 8 years old.  I didn't want a puppy because there is a real chance a puppy will out live me.  So sad as it is to have to let a dog go, I think it would be very sad too to know your are on your last days and you don't have anyone to take care of your dog(s).  

When we put our 12 year old Golden Retriever down because of chest (fat pocket) cancer I stood by to try to comfort him as the vet injected the heart stopping drug.  I'm not sure I recommend  that either, but I didn't wnat to leave he alone with strangers.
So sorry you are going through this and your Vet is right.
Have had many dogs over the years and have had to deal with these issues and difficult decisions for various medical reasons and with dogs of various ages.
The last I had to PTS was a 12 1/2 year old Greyhound that had Lymphoma.  I talked to my own Vet and consulted two others and joined one if the canine cancer boards.  There were a couple of treatment options and I was going to try one that a Vet friend of mine had some success with, however, no matter the treatment, there would be side effects, even if only using Prednisone.  At the time, like your dog, he had lived a good life with us for over 9 years and made it to a pretty good age for a Greyhound.  He still enjoyed his twice daily walks and chilling out at home.  He was in no pain.  I looked into those die-like eyes and decided I would do palliative care only.  I did contact Jean Dodds fir advice and changed his diet and added supplements.  I caught the small lump very early but even so, they gave him maybe 2 months.  He continued to do well for another 6 1/2 months then the swelling in his neck got very large and I could see he was uncomfortable.  One morning, when he did not want to go for a walk, I knew it was time and, like the others, I held him when he was PTS.  It is never easy but nobody knows your dog better than you.  For me, personally, it gets down to a quality of life issue.
I wish you the best during this difficult time.  

Thank you... You reply helped me to feel better regarding the decision
I have finally reached (today) anyway.
((((( Crangi1))))).