Mastiff Shoulder Injury
Hi all, I have a 10 yr old English Mastiff. 200 lbs. He has never had any health issues (i consider us very lucky). However he started limping on his right front leg. I took him to the vet and they couldn't find any visible issues. And want to take Xrays (for $500 with sedation). i can't afford that. I did purchase the pain meds to see if he'd get any better. But he's worse now. and i heard him fall down on to the deck the other day,. i now notice his shoulder blade (or what seems to be a blade), sticking out of his shoulder. His limp is the same, not putting any pressure on it. He does NOT whine or act like it hurts when i move it. But he's got to be hurting. I'm trying to avoid unnecessary costs here. I think i need to come up with the $500 for the xray now. just to see what im dealing with. But i'd like to know if anyone can help me to understand what i might be in store for. If its a dislocated shoulder, can they reset it and will it hold up on that big of a dog? I can't make him stay off of it. he still walks around the house&yard, with a limp. Are they going to do xrays and just tell me there's nothing that can be done and he's so old that not much i can do? Im afraid they will tell me to think about putting him down. Which is very hard to even consider. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
As you have already concluded, you've got to have the x-rays, to even know what you're dealing with.  It could be anything.  It's possible that the problem is in the lower leg and that the reason his shoulder is sticking out is because he is trying to hold the leg in such a way as to minimize the pain.  Maybe it's not as bad as you fear, but you know you can't let him go on hurting and falling down.  See what the x-rays show, see what the doctor says, and then go from there.  Re-post after you get the x-rays done, if you feel so moved.  

I know that one's mind can go all kinds of terrible places when taking care of an elderly pet who's not doing well.  But suck up your courage and put one foot in front of the other.  Take one step at a time, and don't think too far ahead.  That's  the best I can tell you, except that I'm sorry for the situation.  Now, chin up and help him.