Metronidazole dosage for 10 pound Chihuahua
My 3 year old female Chihuahua had a tumor removed from her vagina three weeks ago and healed wonderfully.  She was on Rimadyl and Tramadol for pain for a week.  Three weeks later 12 hours after administering her Invertheart Heartworm tablet she started with loose bowels...then very loose....then two days later liquid bowel movements.  Second day of diarhea her stool samples were negative for parasites. Third day she was prescribed 50 mg of Metrodinazole twice daily.  She had five to eight bowel movements the first three days.  She has now had two doses of the Metrodinazole ...reasonable appetite of white rice, sweet potatoe and some of her Iams dog bits twice daily.  This morning she did not urinate or have a bowel movement after eating breakfast ?  We don't know what we are treating her for..just trying to stop the diarhea I guess for now.  She is adequately hydrated.  She was prescribed the Metrodinazole for 5 days twice daily followed by 5 days once daily......how strong a dosage is that for a 10 pound animal ?  She seems to be acting reasonably normal.
Hello & welcome.....Your dose of Metrodinazole is the correct dose......It's not on the low end or high end.....It's right in the middle for a 10lb. dog........

I would put her on a bland diet of Boiled chicken & rice for a few days.......However, you might find out she'll want it from now on compared to Iams......

Please STOP the Iams Dog food......For starters, it's a very LOW grade food....Plus, there has been a RECALL on July 30th for around sixty Procter & Gamble Dog Foods...IAMS products ARE on the list.......

The risk is SALMONELLA POISONING!!!!!  This may be what your dealing with.....

Here's the link to the recall list....http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/data_root/html/recall_message.html.

Read the whole page....Good luck and please come back with updates.......Karla