Dogs Community
Miniature Pinscher peeing again!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Miniature Pinscher peeing again!

I have a miniature pinscher male, who turned 1 in April.  He has been doing pretty good with the pottying outside, but today he did something very bad!  I noticed him sitting at the top of the stairs, so I called him, he didn't listen...so I walked towards him and he ran down the stairs.  When I got downstairs, he looked at me, lifted his leg, and peed!!  And then he ran away and hid under the bed, so I dragged him out from under the bed and showed him the pee and told him he was a bad dog and to go potty outside, and I hit his nose lightely.  I took him outside and then put him in his kennel with no treat (usually I give him a treat when he goes into his kennel before I leave for work.)  My mom was watching him later today and she said he did the same thing to her, she was with him, and he peed on a pillow right in front of her!
Is he just seeing how far he can go?  We have two big boxers, one male, and one female, in the house with us and I was reading some dogs do this because of stress.  Could these big dogs be stressing him out?  The big male has attacked him a few times over food, luckily we are always there to stop it and my minpin doesn't get hurt.  Or is he just being a bad dog to see how far he can go without getting into trouble?  I'm not sure what to do!  He just started this recently.  Before this he has been very good about going potty outside!
-12 Comments Post a Comment
Well, the first thing you need to change is your own behavior when these accidents happen.  Think about it: you're treating your dog more like a human child who understands WHY he's being punished.  With dogs, all that yelling, pointing at the pee, withholding treats, locking him up, and worse - popping him on the nose - means absolutely nothing.  It all comes too late after the misbehavior, so he can't make the connection.  All he knows for certain is that you're angry with him and bad things happen when he's near you.  He hid under the bed because he knew you were angry, but he didn't know why.

I know it looks like he's deliberately provoking you by urinating in front of you in the house, but that isn't what's happening.  He either hasn't completely figured out potty training, or there is a physical problem like a urinary tract infection.  Once a dog is past 3 months and has these kinds of accidents, it's always a good idea to take him to the vet to rule out a physical problem first.

Now for the potty training.  From the peeing behavior you describe, as well as his running away when you call him, it sounds like you have zero control over him.  He has decided that he is the head honcho and you are beneath him in the pack order.  Since he thinks the house is "his" territory, then he is marking it as his by urinating.  

You said he was doing "pretty good".  That sounds to me like he isn't completely trained.  The old "rub his nose in it and yell at him" method doesn't work.  To make certain he understands, you have to be persistent and consistent and that's the most difficult thing for a frustrated owner.

Remove all opportunities for him to pee in your home by confining your dog in a crate or blocking a room with you using a baby gate, and watch his behavior.

The moment you see him sniffing and/or lifting his leg at a likely spot, say, "No!" and take him outside on the leash to the place where you want him to eliminate.

The second he starts going, start praising him.

If you come across an inside accident long after it was created, forget about it being a teaching moment.  That moment is long gone.  Just clean it up and move on.

If you're consistent with this kind of training, you'll be surprised at how quickly he'll understand what you want.  Timing is everything with dogs.  One second too late on the praise or saying NO and they won't make the connection.

I urge you to take your dog to obedience school.  Even though min pins are small dogs, ANY dog who thinks he's an alpha can be dangerous to you, your family members and visitors.  He can also put himself in danger if he doesn't reliably come when you call him.  Doing things like dragging him forcefully out from under furniture make it even more likely that he'll run away from you when you call him.  You want him to realize that coming to you will always result in something pleasant - like praise or a treat.

Hopefully all that made some kind of sense.  It's getting past this old lady's bed time.  :-)
Thanks!!  I do praise him A LOT when he goes potty outside, because I want him to know that's good.  I know he needs obedience training...he does think he is the kind of the house.  I guess I just need to work with him more and show him that I'm the boss!