Dogs Community
Mold exposure symtoms(symptoms)

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Mold exposure symtoms(symptoms)

Is anyone familiar with toxic mold and its effects on dogs.  We had a large amount of mold in our basement for about 4 years and I didn't realize the health effects of it at the time.  We have moved now, but I have several symtoms (symptoms) and health problems possibly from the mold exposure and I know my dog was down in the basement a lot with her nose in it.  After we moved, I noticed she developed a large red bumpy rash on the center of her tongue which eventually looked like it healed up except for the fact that it left to dark grey patches where the rash was.  Her lower eyelids drop outwards like she hasn't slept in years, she has been drinking a lot of water lately at least two bowls a day, her heartbeat is all over the place, she makes some really weird noises when she sleeps along with eratic twitching, her breath is something to avoid, and she chokes and hacks a lot when she growls or barks while playing.  Even with all of this going on, she still seems for the most part to be her normal self.  Any thoughts? If it helps, my dog I think is a German Shepard/ Golden Retriever cross.
Tags: mold
"Toxic" mold is a bit of a misnomer.  In the past few years, the black mold "stacybotrys" has received a fair amount of attention in the press.  It grows on wood and paper (like the paper covering over wallboard) and it is the mytotoxins produced by the mold that cause trouble, generally in the form of typical allergic reactions; i.e., runny nose, sneezing, runny eyes, etc.  Here is a web page about stachybotrys and resulting symptoms:  http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/stachybotrys.htm

As with any allergy or toxic reaction, once the patient is removed from the irritant, rapid improvement is generally seen.  How long have you been in your new home?  Has your dog exhibited improved symptoms since the move, or worse?  Have you had a vet examine her?  When you say her breath "is something to avoid", how does it smell?  Is it sweet or more along the lines of nail polish remover?  How old is she?  

Honestly, I don't think the mold exposure has anything to do with her problems.  The bad breath and the increased water intake are the alarming symptoms in that she could be in severe kidney failure.  The cause doesn't matter right now, but you need to have some blood labs done to check her basic organ function.  Make an appointment with your vet and be sure to bring in a urine sample.
This thread is pretty old but I disagree with Jaybay, mold effects every organ in your body including the kidneys. While the dog is sleeping she's experiencing mycolonic jerks that is a typical sign of mold exposure. Animals are exposed to mold much more than humans are, we put their water and food in a bowl and there it sets all day so their not only breathing they're eating and drinking the micotxins that are released from the mold spores. Hopefully after the 2 years since this post was created both the OP and his/her puppy are doing better
I also am dealing with a chronic mold exposure issue in my appartment, my two dogs have several symptoms which were unkown however after discovering the large amounts of mold and fungal deposits it seems to clarify some issues, my dogs also suffer similar health issues, both my dogs are coughing ( to the point of choking ) and weezing along with thedropy eyelids as well as chronic running eyes, all these symptoms manifested themsleves approx 60-90 after I moved in to the appartment which I now know is a health hazard.
My older one now has an unknown liver or pancreatic problem which will inevitably be fatal, his health is going downhill fast.
Thank you for posting this issue for a while I just thought is was me who was worried about nothing however there is quite obviously a link between the health symptoms and chronic exposure to mold, now I need to have several tests done on the dogs that will cost over 1500.00$ and I havent even started to have myself checked out.  
Mold is a nightmare!
I agree that I disagree w/ that post, I believe my cat is now sick from only minor mold poisioning.  He already was having health issues...  I believe his kidney disease has worsened and I'm scared.
yes dogs/animals can get liver cancer from mold exposure.. My beloved Yorkie "Miss Fuzzy" died suffering from liver cancer caused by her severe exposure to deadly mold and I am pissed because my Attorney does not want to include her lost in my lawsuit...How can you place a value on a beloved animal that should not have suffered and died in the way she did by having to put in oxygen to survive...when taken off she passed within 5 minutes...  and i have had major health problems... IN Georgia people do not understand there is a FAILURE TO DISCLOSE LAW ... that is for someone buying or renting... check this out...you can sue on this grounds,,, whether mortage company and previous owner or landlord..this is Phyllisia from Atlanta, Ga