Dogs Community
Mold exposure symtoms(symptoms)
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mold exposure symtoms(symptoms)

Is anyone familiar with toxic mold and its effects on dogs.  We had a large amount of mold in our basement for about 4 years and I didn't realize the health effects of it at the time.  We have moved now, but I have several symtoms (symptoms) and health problems possibly from the mold exposure and I know my dog was down in the basement a lot with her nose in it.  After we moved, I noticed she developed a large red bumpy rash on the center of her tongue which eventually looked like it healed up except for the fact that it left to dark grey patches where the rash was.  Her lower eyelids drop outwards like she hasn't slept in years, she has been drinking a lot of water lately at least two bowls a day, her heartbeat is all over the place, she makes some really weird noises when she sleeps along with eratic twitching, her breath is something to avoid, and she chokes and hacks a lot when she growls or barks while playing.  Even with all of this going on, she still seems for the most part to be her normal self.  Any thoughts? If it helps, my dog I think is a German Shepard/ Golden Retriever cross.
Tags: mold
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
82861_tn?1333457511
"Toxic" mold is a bit of a misnomer.  In the past few years, the black mold "stacybotrys" has received a fair amount of attention in the press.  It grows on wood and paper (like the paper covering over wallboard) and it is the mytotoxins produced by the mold that cause trouble, generally in the form of typical allergic reactions; i.e., runny nose, sneezing, runny eyes, etc.  Here is a web page about stachybotrys and resulting symptoms:  http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/stachybotrys.htm

As with any allergy or toxic reaction, once the patient is removed from the irritant, rapid improvement is generally seen.  How long have you been in your new home?  Has your dog exhibited improved symptoms since the move, or worse?  Have you had a vet examine her?  When you say her breath "is something to avoid", how does it smell?  Is it sweet or more along the lines of nail polish remover?  How old is she?  

Honestly, I don't think the mold exposure has anything to do with her problems.  The bad breath and the increased water intake are the alarming symptoms in that she could be in severe kidney failure.  The cause doesn't matter right now, but you need to have some blood labs done to check her basic organ function.  Make an appointment with your vet and be sure to bring in a urine sample.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
This thread is pretty old but I disagree with Jaybay, mold effects every organ in your body including the kidneys. While the dog is sleeping she's experiencing mycolonic jerks that is a typical sign of mold exposure. Animals are exposed to mold much more than humans are, we put their water and food in a bowl and there it sets all day so their not only breathing they're eating and drinking the micotxins that are released from the mold spores. Hopefully after the 2 years since this post was created both the OP and his/her puppy are doing better
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
I also am dealing with a chronic mold exposure issue in my appartment, my two dogs have several symptoms which were unkown however after discovering the large amounts of mold and fungal deposits it seems to clarify some issues, my dogs also suffer similar health issues, both my dogs are coughing ( to the point of choking ) and weezing along with thedropy eyelids as well as chronic running eyes, all these symptoms manifested themsleves approx 60-90 after I moved in to the appartment which I now know is a health hazard.
My older one now has an unknown liver or pancreatic problem which will inevitably be fatal, his health is going downhill fast.
Thank you for posting this issue for a while I just thought is was me who was worried about nothing however there is quite obviously a link between the health symptoms and chronic exposure to mold, now I need to have several tests done on the dogs that will cost over 1500.00$ and I havent even started to have myself checked out.  
Mold is a nightmare!
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
I agree that I disagree w/ that post, I believe my cat is now sick from only minor mold poisioning.  He already was having health issues...  I believe his kidney disease has worsened and I'm scared.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
yes dogs/animals can get liver cancer from mold exposure.. My beloved Yorkie "Miss Fuzzy" died suffering from liver cancer caused by her severe exposure to deadly mold and I am pissed because my Attorney does not want to include her lost in my lawsuit...How can you place a value on a beloved animal that should not have suffered and died in the way she did by having to put in oxygen to survive...when taken off she passed within 5 minutes...  and i have had major health problems... IN Georgia people do not understand there is a FAILURE TO DISCLOSE LAW ... that is for someone buying or renting... check this out...you can sue on this grounds,,, whether mortage company and previous owner or landlord..this is Phyllisia from Atlanta, Ga
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Hello,
Could you please tell me what your outcome and diagnosis was?
Blank
612551_tn?1247839157
"restomoose" never replied once to this thread, and hasn't posted anywhere on MedHelp in several years.  

You'll not likely get anything back form that person.  You can consult their profile and send a note or personal message - otherwise, best to just start a new post.

Good luck.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn

Hi, and I was glad to see someone else checking a toxic mold problem out, as I'm trying to find the right tests in which I need to have ran on both of my dogs and me and my Husband.  We have had to be in this rented Mobile home for about 7 years due to me in Nursing and helping my Mother with my Daddy who now has went to the Good Lord and we have continued to be here while looking for home/land, and watching over my 86 yr. old Mother.
Recently my health became worse with my allergys (allergies) ,(highly allergic to Mold), then breathing problems, allergy meds. not working hardly and etc. then my female dog 3 yrs ago passed away with a mystery tumor in her lungs , water leaks were found in bathrooms, and black spots started showing up on ceiling and floors.  I became worse; so called in Mold Specialist he ran tests and came out stating home is uninhabitable to live. we have the worst of the black mold content and a very high number in home.  my two ChowChows went to Vet (Petsmart) and they say just move out and will get better, let us know what tests to run;  I'm concerned that after 7 years of living with Toxic Black Mold and having these health issues that we could all be in trouble with this mold maybe inside us and causing these medical health problems.
Please if you or anyone knows of the proper tests to be ran on my dogs and where to take them or info on finding a Toxicology Lab/Dr. for me and my Husband to go, please let me know. hopefully/Prayerfully we will find no life long problems and a new home.   thank you Sasha P
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
BE VERY AFRAID!
I moved into seasonal "trailer" when going thru separation/divorce. Took my puggies, 1 elderly. I slowly became very sick, ringworm, etc. No insurance, so just dealt with lack of energy, other issues. Finally, I was so sick, hives, lost 2/3 of eyebrow, finger joints swelling....as well as noticing my older pug was having breathing issues, no energy, etc. I got my VA approved & Medicaid. YEAH! Only diagnosis confirmed was mold. Sick as I was, moved.

Long story short?. 4 doctors in 1 day, in 2 states, conferring by phone could not figure my horrible situationmoved.My 1st visit wall 4 doctors was over 1.5÷ yrs ago. I as well as my puggie are still very sick, 2 include riringwo, skin issues, overall energy, etc. Have taken pug 2 vet. Unless I can afford $1000's for tests, they cannot help.Doctors overall have been very little help 4 me!
In complete desperation, losing my business, consumed by deteriorating health, I went rogue about 7 days ago (I do not recommend, nor endorse my action) but...using antibiotics I collected from anonoumous sources, pumped myself w/3000 mg a day.
WOW! I am a new person! After smell of death coming out for days, VERY SCARY, the "assumed" ringworm is almost gone, eyebrow is starting 2 grow back, not sleeping 18 of 24 hours! Now I am researching what I can do for my baby!
My revealation is, though puggie is elderly, she can b helped & at minium, make what is left less painful. I just want her 2 b able 2 breathe!
So I am researching antibiotics. I know their use crosses over, just want 2 b careful as 2 what and doses could b toxic. I Paid $100+ 2 a vet 4 2 medications 4 only 7 days of meds with her visit. 7 days later I refilled 1 of the meds (another 7 days 4 only $10 less! They did not see her! At least when she was there 1 time they clipped her nails!  Research by me showed the mess they gave are outdated!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Article on Multifocal IOL vs &q...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
748543_tn?1371753642
Blank
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Top Dogs Answerers
675347_tn?1365464245
Blank
ginger899
United Kingdom
974371_tn?1424656729
Blank
Margot49
Central Valley, CA
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
462827_tn?1333172552
Blank
Misfits4Me
OK
1916673_tn?1420236870
Blank
tonyb286
Blackpool, United Kingdom
10821430_tn?1421218448
Blank
JanisM13
Klamath Falls, OR