Dogs Community
My 11mths dog is not toillet trained!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My 11mths dog is not toillet trained!

We received a puppy 3mths ago, he was 8mths and had never be in a house before!

So ever since we have been trying to toillet train him! He is castrated and still marke the furniture, worst he pee in the middle of the floor as well as poop when we dont see him! At night he sleeps in his crate and I have to put him there in daytime to when we are not home. It was going very well for sometime, he was always in my sight and last week I went downstairs to get something from the frezer and I found him crouching on the sofa peeing. I dont know what we are doing wrong. He does his little thing when we take walk with him, but if I tie him outside, when he get in he find a spot where I dont see him and does it there.

What to do? Beside that he is a wonderfull dog, not agresive and very good with childrens. I want to be able to let him out of my sight sometime and not walk into his stuff!

We love him and we dont want to give him away, but I'm getting tired of his doing this. He even done it in the vet office!!!

Help!
Hmmm.   Poodles are a highly intelligent breed and are usually very quick to pick up just about anything.  I think, from what you have said about his early life, his problems are stemming from simply being grossly undersocialized during the time when it mattered most, and now, thanks to the lack of caring and socialization on the part of his original owner, you and he are BOTH paying the price now.

This CAN be worked around, but at this point, it's not simply a matter of training him, you're going to have to basically totally reprogram him.  It's going to take a lot of time and a LOT of patience, so if you want to be successful, you're going to have to resign yourself before you even begin to make a concerted effort to not lose your temper, not get discouraged, and you're going to have to resist the temptation to simply throw up your hands and "take a break from training", even for a minute.  The most successful method that I know of for reprogramming how a dog thinks is called the Nothing In Life Is Free (or NILIF) method.  You can Google NILIF and there are many, many links detailing how this works and you can familiarize yourself with the method and begin to reprogram your pup.  Again, it's going to take lots of time and even more patience, but if you stick with it, eventually you'll win.  As long as you keep in mind that you're not just training, as I said, you are reprogramming him, you'll do fine.  Keep us posted on how it goes!

Ghilly
A few questions first:

What breed is he?

What has your reaction been when you have caught him going in the house?  Have you simply reprimanded him with a stern "OUTSIDE!" and taken him outside or have you perhaps really reacted loudly to catching him in a mistake?

The fact that he was 8 months old and had never been in a house is definitely working against you, however that doesn't mean that it's going to be impossible to housetrain him.  It just means it's going to take more time and more diligence on your part since you are trying to undo something that he has been doing since birth, so it's not going to be easy.  Also, some breeds are notoriously more difficult to housebreak, so that's why I asked what breed or mix of breeds he is.

I will reserve further comment until you post back.  :)

Ghilly
Well he is a standard size poodle, they told me that he had a shis tzu as a grand-parent, but he is a real poodle the vet told us.

Went we catch him doing it, we usualy grab him by the collar, give him a small shake and say a firm no and we bring him outside. And we tie him there while we clean it, with white vinegar.

I realy need insite! This morning we found poop in is crate!

Ghilly
Thanks I'll go look for the NILIF program.

Drew