Dogs Community
My 12 year old Shih-tzu female has nind legs that are shaking

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

my female shih-tzu who is 12 years old has a problem with her hind legs.  they are shaking when she is eating, when she is going to the bathroom, and also when she is trying to lay down what could be her problem?  she is 12 years old and has had 4 litters of puppies
  • Is human MSM safe
    I started giving my dog human MSM and want to know if i...[more]
  • Back legs (2 replies):
    Hi, my questions is I have a 9 year old collie, Sheppard...[more]
  • rear legs (3 replies):
    my 7 year old cross ***** is shaking in her hind quarter...[more]
  • Arthritis (13 replies):
    My Golden Retriever Shane has Arthritis and I have been ...[more]
  • Dogs joints (1 replies):
    I have a jack russle puppy, well she is 3 years old. She...[more]
How is her health otherwise? Does she have, or has she had recently,  any other symptoms, such as lethargy, loss of appetite, or anything at all?

I would definitely have her checked out at the vet's. There could be a few causes for this, and one of them is Addison's. I am not saying it is that however. But get her checked out to be on the safe side.
If there are no other symptoms such as fever, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. I'd  have to say that:

Because of her age & the weather is turning colder, this could be Arthritis of her Spine and/or legs.....

She does need to be checked out by your Vet as he/she can recommend the appropriate supplements & pain management for your girl...

Dogs hurt just like we do.....However, they CANNOT take over the counter supplements as we can.....Most pain management pills for humans can be toxic to dogs....

Again, only your Vet will be able to prescribe proper meds.....They work beautifully & she can be pain free in no time.....Good luck and let us know how she is doing....Karla
Her health is still very good she does run she likes to walk.  She does not jump on things or jump off of things anymore.  I think I am leaning more towards Arthritis.  Has anyone tried Glucosomine?  Can we give this to dogs but I don't want anything to hurt her.  I was playing with her on the floor the other night and I thought I gently grabbed one of her back legs and she did yelp.  So maybe vet is the best option at this time.  She and my male shih-tzu Baxter are the love of my life.  They are both the same age but she just acts like she is older.  Thanks for the suggetions and let me know about the Glucosomine.  

Mel
Thanks for the tips please see my other comment and let me know what you think

Mel
Glucosamine is fine for dogs.  There are many formulas made specifically for dogs but its often cheaper to buy the human ones. MSM is a natural anti-inflammatory that is safe and may help too.  Some of the dog powders/treats etc include MSM w/the glucosamine & chondroitin or you can get it separately.