Dogs Community
My 9 week old puppy is drooling alot all of a sudden.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My 9 week old puppy started drooling about 45 minutes ago. He will not come to me and when I pick him up, he doesn't want me to touch his mouth. He is drooling so much that his ears are wet and my hair is wet from holding him. I'm not sure what to do because all the vets are closed now. I tried to look in his mouth and did not see anything and I have looked around the house and do not see anything that he could got into to make him sick. He is trying to go to sleep now, but I'm afraid to sleep in case he gets worse.
This post is already 4 hours old, so I hope your puppy is ok. It sounds like he has either eatten something very distastful or something that is causing him a problem. Sounds like you need to get him to a vet. There are emergency vets that you can take him to during the night. Look in the yellow pages. Or call your vet, there should be an emergency number.
Ptyalism, or hypersalivation, can be caused by a number of things, all of which should really be followed by a visit to the vet.

She could have something stuck in her mouth.  At nine weeks of age it is unlikely that she has a bad tooth, but she could have eaten something that is causing it as well.  Was she outside before it happened?  Do you have toads in your area?  The reason I ask is because dogs are naturally attracted to toads because of the way they hop around, and they will try to play with them, but as nature's way to ward off predators, toads secrete a substance through their skin that can cause excessive drooling and make them very ill.

Please post back and let us know what the vet says.  

Ghilly
Is there any news about your puppy?  What did the vet say?

Ghilly
He stopped drooling shortly after I wrote the post. I stayed up and watched him sleep to make sure he did not start back or have a hard time breathing. He never seemed to be in pain or have any breathing problems. He got up the next morning bouncing off the walls!! He is eating, drinking and playing like normal. The vet said that he could have eaten a bug, but will never know for sure. He is an inside dog because he is so little and can't go out unless he is on a leash, so he had not been out. I had thought of him getting a toad, because we do have them in our yard. I was so upset that night that I put down his age wrong. He is almost 14 weeks. He is about 4 1/2 pounds. He is a highland hound, westie and mini daschund mix. Very CUTE!!! Thank you for the answers and concern!  Tanyason
I'm REALLY glad to hear that he's OK!   Y'know, after I wrote my first post to you I remembered about the day Kate caught a stinkbug in flight!  It was motoring right AT her and she spotted it, stood up on her hind legs, opened her mouth, and it flew right in!  The FACES she made!  And DROOL????  OY!  She drooled for 15 minutes!  LOL  But if I hadn't seen the bug fly in, I would have been totally at a loss as to know why she was drooling like that.  :)

Anyway, glad to hear that your puppy is A-OK!  Have a great weekend!

Ghilly
Those stinkbugs....I think we get them in UK as well. They do really stink if you touch them or disturb them, and if the smell gets on to you, it's hard to get it off. Sometimes they come into the house. My dog got one in her mouth once, hurriedly spat it out, but was drooling like mad for a while afterwards.
One of our dogs picked up  a toad once, and he foamed at the mouth like he had rabies--it was very impressive!