Dogs Community
My Boston is sick... Help?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Boston is sick... Help?

My Boston *Rudy* (~8 years old) started breathing funny a few nights ago. The following night his breathing became labored. He then started getting a bit weak and has started losing weight and retaining fluid in his hind legs. He is still eating, urine is good, stool is fine. I am wondering if he might have pneumonia, and if so, can he take Biaxin XL? I know he should be taken to a vet, but with these economic times, we just don't have the money. I am hoping for some help to make him better so I don't have to give him up or put him down. This is an urgent matter as he does not seem to be suffering yet, but I can't let him. He has been too good a friend. Thank you, Mike
Please, get Rudy to the Vet....This sounds like "Heart Problems" to me and it's very easily treatable..Even the  Heart meds. and lasix (For fluid retention) are affordable. Once you get it under control, he can have many good years....Don't wait....Find the money. Pawn something you own, sell your computer, cancel your internet service, whatever it takes to save this guy....See if your Vet will work out a payment plan..Alot of them do! He (Rudy) will actually drown in his own fluids without intervention....You owe him this help as I'm sure he would do it for you. As you said, "He has been too good of a friend". Good luck and let us know.....Karla
Mistits is 99% correct!!  This is probably CHF or Congestive Heart Failure.  (can also be heartworms) Fluid in lungs or abdomen is usually first sign.  Treatment is not all that complicated; digitalis, lasix and low salt diet (Hills H/D) will go a long way to stop the decompensation.  It is controllable for many many years, but it will never go away.  

IF your doctor wants to run a whole battery of tests (well, they are right and that will tell you much information) however, if you tell them you need a economical diagnosis and the simplist of treatments (as I have described) HOPEFULLY they will listen to you and you will be MILES ahead.  
Rudy was an awesome dog. And a better friend. He took care of the family when I couldn't be home. He played with all of us til he was just exhausted. And if you were sick or sad, he was there. He was kind of mischievous as a puppy, but in a good way. I still owe my wife a pair of slippers. He is now with my wife's dad, whom he loved to death. I'm sure PawPaw is catching fish and Rudy's eating them.

He will be greatly missed, but he did not suffer.

Thank you for your support and encouragement. I appreciate it.

To my new friends, thank you.

Mike Freeman