Dogs Community
My Chihuahua mix and Xanax Treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Chihuahua mix and Xanax Treatment

7038719?1309750464
I caught my usual vet right out the door on the phone before he was off to his weekend because I didn't think about fireworks and firecrackers because we've had our hands full potty training our Dog named RikiTiki.  Well, Fri down on another housing track quite close at around 11pm somebody started lighting off fireworks and it scared Riki to death.  And about from that day on he has been out of whack with everything.  

The good doctor told asked if I had Valium (in its generic form) when I had to say no, he asked about Xanax--.  He suggested that I give RikiTiki the tiniest amounts this weekend while kids or even 'big kids--adults' light more fire works to help calm him.  He hung up not long after that.

See I have an 8 lb Chihuahua/Daushund mix. They are more commonly known as chiweenies.  I'm scared for him.  I rescued him.  And we are the the 9 day of NO accidents in the house till that that friday he heard all those early fire works.

My mom told me in the 80s their old vet used to give her valium to give our family dog---a German Shepard and a Poodle to get through the sound.

I take 1mg Xanax being sufferer of extreme panic attacks and acute anxiety.  My mom takes xanax--.5mg Xanax.  We want our little RikiTiki be okay and not accidentally give him too much =( to help him not have a heart attack at the sounds he is gonna hear tonight and worse tomorrow night.

How much of a mg do you give an 8lb Chiweenie?????????????  And do it without hurting him but enough for it to be effective to him???? The last few night have been horrible for my husband and I with him shivering between us.  In our bed between us used to be the one place he was the most confident.
Tags: HELP IMMEDIATELY PLEASE, chihuahuas, Anxiety, Dogs, Work, help, family, scared, xanax, Heart
You could try OTC Benedryl....You want the caplets that you can cut...Not the capsules....It comes in 25mg. standard strength....There is also a childrens liquid.....

The dose is 1mg. per lb. every 6-8 hrs.....If nothing else, it should make him sleep.....Hope that helps....Karla
Sorry you are having these issues with your dog.  Worst time of the year for dogs getting out, etc.  No, do not give your dog Xanax!!  Like Karla said, you can give tne Benadryl.
I haven't tried them but some place like PetsMart does sell some OTC calming stuff for dogs.  There is one called Rescue Remedy but not sure if they carry it.  
I know there have been some studies done on the use of a vest on dogs that have anxiety issues with thunderstorms and it may help for fireworks.  Of course, you don't have one of these but you might try snuggly wrapping the torso of the dog with something like a light towel, old shirt you can cut up to fit, etc.  Do you have a crate for the dog? If so, you can possibly try putting the dog in the crate with it's bed and/or blankets and a toy and maybe turn the TV or radio up somewhat do help drown out the sound. The dog may feel more secure that way.
Hi, please listen to your vet!!! My dog has seizures . They started almost a year ago. She is on phenobarbatal.  When it started the doctor added xanax for a week.   He did this so the phenobarbatal could get in her system. She was anxious and not herself.  Benadryl doesn't have the same effect on animals as it does to humans!  Benadryl is an antihystimine  sp...
It may relax a few people/animals.  I have never been relaxed by benadryl!  It helps my allergies though. Don't be afraid to give your poor dog small amounts of xanax!!!!   Sometimes advice can be just not suitable for the situation. Your pup sounds like he has an anxiety disorder also.  He isn't going to get addicted unless it is given all the time. You know about the drug..I am sure.  Amount my dog is about 40lbs and chubby ):   She was given 1 mg 4x a day.  Sounds like an large dose , it is a human dose. I would give your pup  to start with   a bit less then .25 mg. and go from there.   People advice is nice but this dog has come a long way, why doubt this vet???? Wish I had seen this before the 4th.
My dog relaxed very well with it.  
My "Not suitable advice" had nothing to do w/ doubting the Vet!   Don't you think the "Good Doctor" (As she put it) would have given her the dose when she spoke to him? That was my concern....

Benadryl can be sedating to some dogs..I figured that was a SAFER suggestion for her dog!

I do happen to LOVE "Rescue Remedy" as Margot mentioned....It works wonders, but not powerful enough for severe Thunderstorm/Firework anxiety.....

Yes, I also know that dogs can take Xanax......The dose you prescribed is the perfect dose for a 13lb. dog! Hope that clears some of this up!!    Karla
My dog has a hyperactivity reaction to benadryl, and the vet prescribed .25 mg  of xanax for traveling and I could even go up to .5 if needed and he is a 4.2lb dog.  I do have rescue remedy for minor situations, but for the long airplane travel under a cabin seat...I want him to be calm.  He should get used to it, because we travel a lot, so I do not expect it to be a problem where he will get addicted.  But last time with the Benadryl it was horrible.