Dogs Community
My Dog Can't Breathe!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Dog Can't Breathe!!!

my dog has done this for a while but it seems to be getting worse---he goes through spells where he is struggling to breathe and he makes snorting noises trying to get air....it never looks as if he is actually suffocating though.....what can i do? please help!!! i was wondering if i could be allergies? we recently brought him into the house as a house dog---though he had this problem before it seems worse but i don't know if its cause we see him more or what----again please help!!!!
you can put him in the room with a vaporizer when my min pin was congested it seemed to help and get to the vet and see if he needs a special diet or it could be flea meds our dog was allerigic to fleas meat veggies chicken turkey he could only eat potato and whitefish canned food
It may not be allergies at all.  There are any number of digestive problems or lung/ heart issues that could cause these symptoms.  I'm glad you brought your dog into the house where you can keep better track of what is happening.  However, until you get the condition properly diagnosed, you're just shooting in the dark trying to help.  Gotta get to the vet!
Our older dog does this and goes through spells of it.  We have had her to the vet and tested.  It is almost like a asthma problem.  I know exactly what you are talking about as our dog's mother did this too!  I am sure that it was genetically passed to her.  It seems to me to be certain times of the year that she does it worse than other times.  It sounds kind of silly but it seems if we let her out for just a short spurt when she starts this ... she quits.. kind of seems to clear it out and she doesn't continue to do it.  If we don't let her out and keep her in when she is doing it she gets worse, and worse... Just a suggestion for you to try until you can get him to the vet.  I was also told that this can be atributed to specific breeds.
my dog is going throguh the same thing and has been for a few months. my dog is very little. a shih stzu and chiuahua mix. he gets like that at weird times. i was told not to give him a lot of people food because its too salty. it really scares me and i dont know how to make him stop.
Make a search on Google with those letters ""  BARF  " this might help you if you are ready to see your dog as a real dog.
Is he making short, sharp snorting sounds?  Or is he more along the lines of gasping and coughing?  

A short, sharp snorting sound is called a reverse sneeze.  It's not, however, related to sneezing, it just sounds like a sneeze that's going inward instead of outward, that's why it's called that.  Reverse sneezing is caused by a spasm of the soft palate.  You can usually get them to stop it by massaging their throat and getting them to swallow.  It happens in cats as well as in dogs.

Gasping and coughing could be a sign of a collapsing trachea.  This is extremely common in middle aged and older toy dogs, and it's caused by the rings of the trachea losing their firmness, causing the trachea to cave in.  It's fairly common in overweight dogs as well.  Diagnosis can be made by palpating the throat to see if a cough can be elicited.  If the dog does suffer from a collapsing trachea, weight loss helps some, as does the use of a cough suppressant, possibly a bronchodilator, or a mild sedative to prevent anxiety and nervousness (the main causes of flare-ups).  

Of course, the only way to tell for sure what it is that is causing the symptoms is to take your dog to the vet for an examination.

Ghilly
ditto to Ghilly!
Get your vet to check his heart. Wheezing can be caused by CHF. We have seen it in many of our chis. Normally they will have a very slight amount of clear thin water running from their noses. Otherwise, take Ghilly's advise best quess one it's one these. My quess would be its a small dog?? Chihuahua Rescue
my dog does it all the time and yes its called a backwards sneeze ,its scarey but will not harm your baby.
my dog does the same. my vet said the same thing that ghilly did about the sneeze. now when he does that i just very gently stroke his throat VERY GENTLY AND SLOWLY. plus i talk very softly to him at the same time. this seems to have shortened the length of time he goes thru this. good luck! hope this helps. but you will never know for sure until he's diagnosed by a vet. hope that's all it is.
Hi ,
My  shitzu is going through the samething also but this happend only onece but when i got my dog i notice that her breathing was'nt normal .
please help me because i want to be prepare in case it happens again?
what did you did?
e-mail me please @
***@****
My dog has a terrible cough and can't breath. This has been going on for almost six months or longer. Our vet has X-rayed her four times and a full body scan and can't find the cause. They even put her to sleep and went down into her lungs. Her heart is good and all medicines including steroids has not helped. Our vet wanted to send our dog to a clinic in Cleveland, Ohio, but we just can't aford it. We has spent well over two thousand so far. Also she takes shots for allergies, so its not that, but she is over weight which is caused from steroid use. Help!!!!
Post this as a New question....You will have better luck with a response.........
Thanks, I'll do just that
My dog is doing the same thing. My vet thinks it is the reverse sneeze. She does it about once a week and lasts for about 30 seconds. (It feels a lot longer.) When she starts she will either run to me if I'm sitting on the floor or under the table. She stands hunched over until it's finished. I've noticed that she does it only in the morning usually before she eats. If I get her to lick water off my hand she sometimes stops and sometimes I have to get her to lick more.
She is a malti-pom weighing only 3 pounds.
She sounds exactly as most of you have described, she can't breath, mouth is closed, snorting sound, sounds like someone who is trying to get mucus out of their throat.
Sometimes my dog does this reverse sneeze thing. She's basically fit & well, runs like the wind, enjoys her food, doesn't have allergies, eats healthy food, doesn't get any junk Human food.  Her lungs and heart are fine, so the vet says, and so far, doesn't have any health problems. When it happens, (about 2 times a year or something) she looks scared, and comes to me for help. I gently rub her head, neck, back, talking to her in a gentle confident way, and it stops. It lasts about 20 seconds usually, then she is perfectly fine afterwards. She has had this for years.  It kind of reminds me of something that used to happen to me when I was a kid, and I'd sometimes wake up in the night with a shock, sat up, and gasped for breath for a few seconds, like I'd had a scare.  But there was nothing wrong with my lungs, and I didn't have allergies or health problems. Think this may be a nervous kind of thing, though what causes it I don't know.
tuesday dec 1st. my  (schipperke) Doc died. he was choking, hard to breathe the Vet gave him antibiotics and  steroids for monday night.  monday night he tried to sleep and suffocated  found him dead outside. I tried to keep him in and dry but he wanted to go out and get out of gate. Now, I know why  to find a place to die. very sad day today. Not sure if I did all I could.
maryanne
My Dog Dr. said it's her larynx are closing when she trys to breath in. Old dogs, especially labs can have this problem. If you take your dog out for a little walk and she is having a hard time breathing in, it's a good posibility it's the weakening of the larynx. My dog's Dr. said he can fix it by making an incision on her throat and pulling back one side of the larynx giving her enough air to breath. He said he does about 4 of these kind of operations a month. Not all Dr. can do this so you might have to go to a specialist. My normal Dogs Dr. refered me to this Dr. My wife and I don't know if we are going to do the operation because it costs $2,000. He said it would be in and out same day with instant results. I can see $700 but not $2,000.
My 11 year old dog CANNOT breathe good and i read all the posts. My mom is taking her to the vet to see whats the problem. i am praying that Gigi will be okay any advixce would be great.
Whatever is wrong with your dog, I am sure the vet will find out. If you are not satisfied with the diagnosis the vet gives you, or if he seems unsure, don't forget that you can always go see another vet.

There are all sorts of reasons for breathing problems. From obstructions in the nose (from too much sniffing! and getting something stuck up there) -to heart problems, and other things. Obviously I can't tell you what is wrong with your dog, but let's hope when the vet finds out, there will be some medication that will help. 11 doesn't HAVE to be "too old for hope", for a dog.

Please let us know, if you have the time, what the vet says, and don't forget, we are always here for you if you want to post again.
  my pom.had a cough and chocking problem when he was puppy eight weeks old. he did this for 2 months then stop.he is now 11 years old.he has been coughing and chocking for months now.my vet. said his lungs and heart are good.he may have a trachea problem he may need an . xray.i didn't get the xrays. he gave p him redisone pills and a anitbotic he was ok for a couple of months..he is really very bad now .I came home last night.I found him not able to breathe.I STARTED TO TAP HIM STRONG ON BOTH SIDE,BY HIS LUNGS.HE STARTED TO BREAYHE FOR ME.GAVE HIM A PREDISONE I .SPOKE TO HIM TO CALM HIM DOWN..I AM GOING TO THE VET TOMORROW. I HOPE I AM DOING RIGHT FOR MY DOG.I DID'T WAIT TO LONG TO XRAY..PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INPUT.
Yoiu are doing the right thing by taking him to the vet, I would not refuse the xrays this time.  Good Luck,
HI' I TOOK MY POM.TIGGER TO THE VET.HE DIDN'T XRAY.HE CHECKED HIS BLOOD PRESSURE AND SAID IT WAS HIGH.HE PUT ON HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE PILLS.HE WANTS ME TO GET BACK TO HIM IN FOUR DAYS AND LET HIM KNOW IF IT HELPS STOP THE COUGHING STOPS.ALSO I HAVE TO GIVE HIM A 1/4 TEAP.OF  ROBITUSSI AT NIGHT.SO FAR HE'S GOOD. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER HEARD OD DOGS AND CATS CAN GET HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE..

tiggerboy, I also had no clue that a dog could have high blood pressure.  I also didn't know you could give your dog cough medicine.  I found out a couple of weeks ago that the pain meds that they give cats are for humans, also.  My cat had his teeth pulled and they gave him cherry flavored meds which made him foam at the mouth from the taste.  Wouldn't you think they would make them flavored especially for a dog or cat?
Just got a shih shuz about a year old, having the same problem with him, went to the vet and he had earmites. Don't know if that was the cause of it but just waiting it out to see. If dogs are allergic to fleas maybe mites too? He was given to me in poor condition, my concern was heartworms, we get him checked for them and let you know.
Your dog could have a small heart mermer, which I just found out my dog has, so that could explain why your dog has those breathing episodes. It's a condition that makes your heartbeat beat faster then normal whick can cause hyperventalating, I always wondered why my dog did the same turn out to be the a very small heart mermer. So good luck to all of you in finding out what is wronge with your dogs. It's always good to take your animals to the vet. Also if you take your dog to the vet for a check up the vet should always check the heart and lungs, you pay for the check up make sure your vet is checking your dogs heart and lungs. Thank you. Ash.
I hold my dog with her head down and pat her back like your trying to burp a baby until the snorting noise stops.  This has worked perfectly everytime for me.  Please try!
My dog is a twelve year old lab. When he gets excited (going for a walk, swimming, etc) he starts gasping for air and throwing up this thick white mucuse! Please help! I took him to a verrt and they prerrtty much just gave me the run around said it may be filangia paraylisis? But heas fine normally just when he gets excited and can't stop throwing up!!!!!?
what eles can you do to help them i have a black lab and she just started doing the snorting the reverse sneeze and it worries me i dont know what to do i have been rubbing her neck when she starts to do that it helps a little but not  much PLEASE help!!!!
Our dog is about 8yrs old chihuahua he's been having problems breathing. He grasp for air and tends to pee and poop while grasping for air. What causes this to happen?
I hope you are taking it to a vet or anyone who can at least look with a trained eye down the dog's throat.  

Eight years is still young for a small dog, I will guess it has something in its throat. Our Westie often chokes, and (it seems at least a couple of times a day) and it usually alarms me, but he gets whatever is causing the choke cleared in two or three hacks.  It doesn't seem to be related to eating, but he is a bit of a licker, himself and everything else, so he my lick up some hair of other irritant.

I didn't read this whole thread, I assume you did and didn't find much help therein, sorry.
This thread is 6 years old...Comments/questions attached to the end of a thread this old tend to go unnoticed.....You'll have better luck posting a NEW question within this forum, for better responses...

However, a breathing problem, as serious as what you describe, needs to be evaluated by your Vet ASAP....It wouldn't be fair to your dog for a public forum to throw out a bunch of guesses....Please, make your dog an appointment, now!.....Good luck, Karla
Couldn't agree more, a dog is a dog no matter how big or small. They have different feeding needs to us, and should be walked not carried.
My 4yr old beaglebull does the same thing. No indication why she is doing it. It is scary and it must be scary for her too..I have seen the same symptoms listed it must be some medical reason why..When ever i take her to the vet darn if i don't forget to ask..