Dogs Community
My Dog Throws Up Water!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Dog Throws Up Water!

I have an 8 year old Basset Hound who is constantly thirsty and drinks massive amounts of water and then throws it all up immediately afterward. Occasionally it will contain some mucous. I have had her blood checked and it turned out she had some digestive problems with her kidneys and pancreas but not bad and she didn't have diabetes. They put her on a pancreatic enzyme to mix with her food to keep her from throwing up, but she never throws up her food, just the large amouts of water she drinks. Well, that worked for a while and now it doesn't so the vet said get some Milkthistle from the vitamin section at Wal-mart and give it to her. Nothing. She's doing it again. I'm terrified. She's at the vet now getting blood work done again but have any of you had this problem with your dog? Am I about to lose my baby? :(
Yes, I had the same problem and it turned out to be pancreatitis.  It sounds like your dog's pancreas has been "touchy" for quite some time, and now it's gotten worse.  If that's the case, your dog may need intensive in-patient care with NOTHING by mouth for a few days to allow the pancreas to rest.  This condition is very painful as well, so pain meds are a must.  After the acute phase is over, you'll have to keep your dog on a low- to no-fat diet, and NO people food.  No rib bones, beef bones, leftovers - nada.  Your vet may recommend a prescription diet if necessary.  

Even if it isn't pancreatitis, your dog has a serious problem.  Any time a dog throws up water that means something is very very wrong.  If you're not getting anywhere with your current vet, it never hurts to have a second opinion.
I rescued a boxer a little over a year ago and he's been doing that ever since we got him. It doesn't matter how much water we put infront of him he seems to drink it all. He used to be abused. We figured maybe he was deprived of water because the vet couldn't find anything wrong after a whole lot of tests and x-rays. There was mucous in his vomit so the vet tried a few different meds for his allergies. He will just drink until he throws it up. So now we just give him a little bit at a time instead of filling the bowl full. He still rarely throws up water but he's much better now that we control his intake. Have you tried just giving him a small bowl of water many times throughout the day instead of filling his bowl all the way up? How long has this been going on? I hope it's not serious.
No, I haven't tried keeping the water bowl at bay and giving her a little a time. I do know that when she doesn't have enough water, she whines. It's like her thirst can never be quenched.  Thank you for your response. I'm brand new here and wasn't even expecting a response so WOW. Thank you.
That's what I was afraid of. I hope that's all it is is pancreatitis and not something more serious. I will do anything the vet recommends as far as diet is concerned. My dog is obese so I know that does not help matters AT ALL!  I have purchased Purina One Healthy Weight formula and have been walking her in attempts to help her lose some. I will keep you posted. Thank you for responding. I'm new and I got two responses! I'm so very excited to be a part of this forum! Thanks again jaybay!