Quick description of my dog, His name is Ozzy, he is a bijon/poodle cross. More bijon then poodle, and he is about the size of a skateboard length wise, and not very tall. He isn't that heavy either. I don't know the weight exactly.
So long story short, Christmas day my little sister left her whole stocking on the floor before she left and we told her not too because the dog would get into it. Ofcourse she left it on the ground, and he did get into it and I came home alone to the dog who ate an entire box of Golden Buds chocolates (131g, 22g of sugar), an entire bag of swedish fish (I don't even know the absurd number of sugar thats in that) and got into turkey scraps that were also left out by somebody irresponsible.
I got home to puke everywhere, wrappers everywhere and the dog looking quite happy to see me, but also quite sick looking. He was whining, running around everywhere (all the sugar im assuming), barking at walls, growling at things that werent there (constantly barking at the door and I would open it and no one would be there, etc.) I cleaned up all the puke, stayed up with him all night waiting for my parents to get home. The next day, they saw what happened, basically just brushed it off. I told them how poisonous chocolate can be too dogs and all that and how crazy he was acting etc. and they seemed to not care. (His tail is wagging, he looks fine to me!) >.>
Anyway the only person who seemed to care was my older sister who is quite educated about that kind of stuff. She was in town and was explaining to me how if dogs don't immediately die from that, they can develop diabetes, and become quite sluggish, and need insulin and stuff. I have been watching him every day, and it has been 4 days since then and I still think hes sick. I just watched him sluggishly walk to a corner and rushed him outside because i knew he was going to vomit. It was a yellowy substance, and there was nothing around the house that he could have eaten.
I am very worried about the well being of my dog. I have given up talking to my parents about this. They don't care one little bit and my mother told me "The only possible way he's going to the vet, is if you put up the 200$ yourself." I simply don't have that kind of money right now. And I'm very frightened that my dog needs to go to the doctor right away. If anyone has any questions or help, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Your dog will be all right. I am sure that after 4 days that what he ate has passed on through and it sounds like there are no bad side effects except for a little acid reflux, the yellow substance that he vomited. Just keep taking good care of him and loving him, that's the best medicine he could ever have.
I don't know these chocolates, and what type they are, whether they are white chocolates or milk chocolates. Those two are the least poisonous, with dark and baking chocolate top of the lost for toxicity.
But from what you say, he has been showing signs of chocolate poisoning. Usually they get diarrhea as well, but the vomiting and hyperactivity does sound as if he is experiencing some reaction from this candy.
It's partly the sugar, but that isn't the main problem. The problem is that chocolate contains Theobromine, which dogs just cannot process as humans can.
The fat content also could affect his pancreas, and cause an acute attack of pancreatitis (vomiting and pain)
This is a quick list of the amounts of chocolate which are toxic:
White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
My dog once ate a whole pack of Cadbury Buttons. She was ill. (vomiting and terrible diarrhea, but no signs of hyperactivity) I took her to the vet and he recommended fasting her for 24 hours with nothing but water. Obviously to keep a close eye on her for any worsening of symptoms, and if the fast didn't help her -to bring her back.
After 24 hours on just water, she was, luckily, right as rain. The following day she had just plain boiled rice. She kept it down and showed she was hungry, so I added a little plain boiled chicken to the rice, and then gradualy re-introduced her normal food over the next few days.
But I would say that if your dog does NOT improve after fasting with water, then it is very important to get him to the vet. (It's really my opinion he should be checked out at the vet's as soon as possible anyway. I cannot imagine it would cost 200$ to take him merely to be examined, and to ask the vet's advice, even if they prescribe him something to settle his stomach.)
The sugar might make him hyper for a while but it will pass. I would worry about the chocolate. The half life of theobromine (the substance in chocolate that is toxic to dogs) is about 18 hours, HOWEVER, symptoms of theobromine toxicity can manifest for upwards of 72 hours after the consumption of the chocolate. These symptoms can include bradycardia (heartbeat below 50 beats per minute), arrhythmias, heart attacks, seizures and even death. Since your dog is a small dog, he could still have issues owing to the large amount of chocolate he consumed. I would have him checked by a vet just to be sure since it's better to be safe than sorry.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.