My Dog has a lump on his neck
My 6 year Shipoo has a lump on the side of his neck just below the jaw line, that is about 2 inches long.  I noticed it last week and at first I thought it was going down but now its larger.  

I have made an appointment with the vet, but was wondering what it might be.

I am sorry to hear about your pup's lump...I am glad that you are getting it checked out promptly.

This is a good question to post to our experts in the Ask A Vet section.  The veterinarians there can give you some potential ideas and then also offer some questions you might want to ask your veterinarian based on his/her examination of your little Shipoo.
My dog also has a lump on her neck near or on her thyroid.  I just discovered it so will be making an apt with her vet as soon as possible.  I often give her massages which include the neck area and have never noticed this before. Is it possible it could be something other than a tumor and if by chance it is a tumor what are the chances it could be cancerous and is this treatable?