Dogs Community
My Dog has this Itch problem and loses hair

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Dog is a Chow-Lab mix and my dog has this problem for over 6 months now, we have taken him to the vet and my dog already took many vaccine shots but none seem to be working, maybe because its the wrong vaccine.

Here is a photo of the problem.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j369/ashieboy/dog/C360 _2012-01-18-15-51-21.jpg
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j369/a shieboy/dog/C360_2012-01-18-15-51-11.jpg
http://i1082.photobucket.c om/albums/j369/ashieboy/dog/C360_2012-01-18-15-51-04.jpg
http://i10 82.photobucket.com/albums/j369/ashieboy/dog/C360_2012-01-18-15-50-46 .jpg

I suspect my dog has Folliculitis but im not really sure, please help my dog
folicultitis is a possibility but its usualy the result of some other underlying cause. does your dog have pustules that weep and drain and scab? or is it just flacky red with hair loss? it could be a number of things, chows tend to have skin issues. have they done a scrap for mange? is the hairless skin thickening?  sometimes it can also be a reaction to fleas... aslo many dogs have food allergies that can cause these symptoms.. what do you feed your dog? is the hair loss mostly in one area or wide spread ? and is the itching widespread or localized?
Its usually in the butt area, well my dog likes rice so i give him rice and some meat, the rice is high quality. Im gonna try changing his diet little by little and change to dog food.
careful just feeding rice its not very high in nutirants.. i would try switching him as soon as you can to a limited ingrediant diet... you can find alot of these on the market they contain no grains which tend to be the cullprit. if its mostly the butt doublle check for fleas... do you have a vet? if you do you can call them to find out wat dose they would recomend for giving him benadryl . but dont give it to him without talking to a vet too much can be harmful. food allergies usually effect the belly and feet and ears of a dog but not always... while you are trying to correct the problem you can give him a bath with oatmeal shampoo this will sooth the skin somewhat and most pet stores carry a topicall anti itch spray.... but if it doesnt clear up he needs to be seen if it gets out of control it could turn into an infection.
Hello & welcome......Usually a skin problem on the rear area is classic of fleas.....If you don't use a flea product (From your Vet), then you need to start there.....Do not buy one from a discount center or grocery store....Make sure you use a good one from your Vet...

Then I looked at your pictures:
First, your dog looks malnourished.....You need to get him on a high quality dog food! Again, do not buy one from a discount center or grocery store...They are not good enough...Your dog needs proper nutrition to fight off any disease.....Rice & Meat is NOT good enough as it is not a balanced diet and he is lacking in an assortment of vitamins & minerals found in packaged foods.....

Next, I see lesions on his back, head, elbows & feet......Has your Vet done a skin scraping? You need one!  A skin scrap will determine if this is a mite, bacteria or fungus....It will be found by looking at a sample of skin under a micro-scope.....
This looks like Mange to me & will continue to spread until it's taken care of.....Some of the areas in your photos are classic for Mange.....Do not let this go....It can get out of hand and can be fatal.....Plus, it makes the dog miserable!!!!!

I don't understand your statement about wrong vaccines....Vaccines have nothing to do with curing skin diseases.

Either way, you need to get your dog to another Vet to determine what this is & begin treatment immediately...... Good luck & let me know what happens......Karla
I have a litter of three toy poodles. They are now 10 weeks. Since they have been 7weks I'm noticing more and more hair loss on the neck area and are itchy BUT not bumps, not open sores nothing but hair loss and itchy. They were on royal cabin puppy but I just changed them to Blue grain free chicken to see if it would help and have been adding salmon oil omega 3-6 to their food for a week. Any idea why the itchingb& hair loss on three young pups? nO Fleas and vet has given me advantage multi for walking dandruff ect just I case but they don't even have dry skiing or dandruff at all... Help :(