Dogs Community
My Old Dog Disappeared

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Old Dog Disappeared

I have a 15 year old dog that seemed to be doing pretty well for her age. She ate her breakfast the other morning and I let her out to use the bathroom and I haven't seen her since:( She's been gone for four days now. I live in the country and have searched the woods and pastures, asked neighbors if they have seen her, put up signs, checked the pound and local vets, and driven around looking for her, all to no avail. I am at a loss. My dad says she most likely went off somewhere to die-that dogs in the country do that sometimes. But I have trouble being at peace with that because she seemed her normal self. Has anyone had a similar experience? My mind is running wild with all the other reasons she could be gone.
I am so sorry to read this.  Living in the Country can't make it easy to find her.  I've helped in searches.
Try going out with another dog,
If she is used to a squeaky toy, take that out and squeak it.
Talk to neighbors, mail carriers, bus drivers, local Vets, trash collectors.
Go out at night with a flashlight,
Does she have tags on?
A few years ago whom done had a Greyhound get out in the Country.  I went in that area every chance I got.  There is a bus yard in that area and I posted a poster in there break room
About 3 days later one of the drivers spotted her near an orchard.  A few of us ran right down and spread out. I thought I heard dog tags and stopped dead but saw nothing. We had cell phones so I called her owner to come where I was.  She finally came out to her owner's calls.
So,mdon't give up and put posters out.
Good luck.  Your Dad might be right but hope not
Thank-you for the advice. I am not going to give up. I need some closure so I can be at peace one way or another. My other dogs have come with me when I've searched. I was hoping they'd lead me to her. She's just about fully deaf so if I called her, she wouldn't hear me:(
I have no other advice that would help, Margot49 seemed to cover it all.  I would just like to wish you much luck in finding your dog, it must be so hard not knowing.  I hope shes safe and someone will find her and give you a call.  Don't give up.
I would still try to go out at night with a flashlight, sometimes you can get the reflection of the light in their eyes.  
Hard to do in the country but you might try putting out some food and items from home with your scent on them.
You have grocery stores, liquor stores or gas stations near you?  If so put fliers up there. You would be amazed at the people that may try to help.
I had a Sheltie out for 6 days once.  Never gave up hope, checked the Shelter daily for live and dead pick ups.
Someone spotted her by a church about 5 blocks from us, went and found one of my fliers and called. I was at work. My husband went there and didn't see her then noticed a shadow on the wall behind a shed.  He called her and had the sense to kneel down.  She finally recognized him and went to him!  They can get out like that and go into flight mode from fear.
Keeping fingers crossed
I hope you find her! I'd say put up fliers too, and check craigslist. People post lost/found animals there quite often. Call the local shelters, etc. Everyone else had great advice. I really hope you find her!
Thank y'all both so much for the encouragement. I am praying for her safe return and trying not let my thoughts run too wild. I just would give anything to have her home- it's not the same without her there.
She's home!!! Praise the Lord! My neighbor called me this afternoon-she was in one of his pastures. She's a bit weak and lost some weight but otherwise seems fine. I'm going to keep her in my sight! Thank you all so much for the support and concern! It really means a lot to me to know that there are so many other animal lovers out there that care about not only the well-being of their own loved ones, but also for those that bless other people's lives. I wish all of you and yours the best! :-)
Great news!  Love stories with happy endings.
Put a bell on her.  :-)
I am so happy for you, thats great.
I've only just seen this post. I am so very glad you found her. The bell on her is a great idea, or failing that, a collar which lights up at night? I bet she is glad to be home and is being spoiled rotten right now!
All the best to you
yay! sooo glad you found her!
Thank y'all! She is very glad to be home and slowly getting her strength back after having obviously not eaten while she was lost. And a bell is a good idea:)