Dogs Community
My Pitt Bull has bumps all over her body!!??

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

She was fine this morning and this afternoon, then when i came home tonight i let her out of the crate and there are dime sized bumps all over her body!!  i don't know what this is or what to do about it.. but i can't afford to take her to the vet right now - i just moved from new york to california... I gave her some benadryl and put some anti-itch cream all over her body for now... i know it's not fleas cause she has had them before and never had an allergic reaction and i know it is not the food she's eating because she has been eating the same food for 4 months and the same brand but in puppy chow before that since she was 8 weeks old.  i feed her purina.  can anyone help?  anybody know what is wrong with my baby???
Allergic reactions can pop up at any time in life.  A person or a dog may be stung by a bee many times over the years and never react to it.  Then one day, the bee stings and the person goes into anaphylaxis and dies.  

It does sound like an allergic reaction (hives), but Lord only knows what caused it.  If you see any sign of difficulty breathing, heavy drooling or foaming of saliva, your dog is in an emergency situation and MUST go to a vet.  Period.  Start looking for an ER vet close to you now - just in case you need to find it in a hurry later.

The benadryl cream may cause more trouble if the dog licks it off.  Stick with plain benadryl tablets (benadryl without added decongestant).  The correct dosage is 1 mg per pound of the dog's body weight.  Most people under-medicate with benadryl so it doesn't do any good.

I could be totally wrong here too.  Nobody on the internet can diagnose and treat your dog, so it's up to you to decide what you can sacrifice to get her to a vet, and when it's necessary.  Please check back and let us know how she's doing.
thanks so much.  yah the very next morning she only had a few bumps on her but and by the afternoon she was completely bump free.  I thank God!!!! i don't think i would be able to live if anything serious happened to her!
my dog has ad lil bumps all over his body for the last past night..he has never had anything like this befor and when I woke up this morning it had gotten worse ! I called a vet and arraged an appoinment but its only a matter of time befor I can take him in ..i have benadryl tablets and gave him one and a half ..they are only 25 mg ..he weighs about 50 pounds ....is the anything els I can do ?
my pitt bull did the same thing one day and I didn't do anything to them or her by the next day they were gone. Still don't know what caused them but she is fine now. Maybe it is a pit bull thing....I don't know.
My 4 month old pit bull has bumps all over her as well right now and had them for maybe a week or 2 now. They aren't "dime sized" just look like acne bumps lol and I also can't afford a vet right now but I'll try the tablets and see what happens.
My Pit Bull yesterday had bumps all over his body and face. I could'nt figure out what they were. I thought they were ant bites or mosquotes because they are all coming out now. So, I layed hands over my dog and was praying to Jesus to heal him with believing what my God can do. And within an Hour all bumps were completely gone. I wanted to share this testimony with what Gods power can do. Jesus Christ Loves the animals too.
my pit as bumps all over his body we have not done anything different with him some of the bumps are red and some are not...... he is scratching some of them i don`t know what to do!!!
One morning my pit mix puppy developed large bumps all over her body. She was running around very rest less and without hesitation I took her to the vet. I am so glad I was home from work that day. She had to have over $250 of shots and work done and the bumps went away immeditately. She was having an anaphylactic reaction and almost died from it. It could be serious! Find a nearby vet so you know where it is at if her symptoms get worse. I have a credit card specifically for emergency care for her and it works great for us!
i have the same problem with my pti, this has been going on for months, sadie does not seem to be to itchy. have you leard anything more about the bumps?
Just an FYI I have had 2 pit bulls and both of them have randomly gotten bumps all over them. After freaking out and worrying I did some research. Pit bulls do have extremely sensitive skin and are susubtible to rashes and other types of allergic reactions. Benadryl is the best thing for this that I have found and it generally goes away in a couple of days. One of my dogs is allergic to our grass and another to the the lil white flies inq our grass. So usually not a big deal at allo
I think my pitbull might have been bit and now she is getting bumps all over her not to mention the right side of her face is swollen ... any idea what it could be
I have a 1 yr old female Pit.  For the past couple of months she has been having these rashes and bumps appear and disappear.
At first it started on her right side of the leg (near her stomach area) - it is a red, dry patchy area, all the hair in that area has fallen out. It also seems very itchy to her. I use medicated wipes and always clean it and it will go away for at least a  couple of days but will come right back.
Then she got very big, very hard and dry bumps on the top of her head. They werent scattered, they showed up in one specific location on her head. I then found out that she was having allergic reactions to her dog food, so i switched her to Purina. They finally went away.
We took her to the creek one day and she for the first time ever she actually jumped in and swam. Not even two days later she has all of these bumps all over her body (smaller than a dime)
Can someone please help me to help her. I dont want her to get sick.
My pit gets them to. For the past 6 months he has been getting these bumps all over his body, I have taken him to the vet and they have no idea what it is. They gave me special shampoo and antibiotics and they will go away for a week and then come back! I have no idea what to do either!
I would go to Petco and purchase a medicated oatmeal shampoo. I am bathing my female pit bull in a medicated oatmeal shampoo. I try to use this stuff twice a week. I also use a triple antibiotic ointment crem on the rash area. The benedyl helps too. It seems to be a persistent problem with pit bulls especially in the summertime like a bad heat rash.
My pit has bumps all over right. Now and ones bleeding I don't know if he scratched it but its getting me alittle nervous I hate seeing him like this and he has a bad rash under his chest and arm pits I don't know if this is common for pits..please help
It is very common for Pitbulls to have skin issues. Its even more common for a young Pit and for a Pit with white fir. My advice is to not freak out, The majority of the skin issues will clear up on there own. Some of the bumps can grow alarmingly large. As long as these bumps dont get damaged, they generally go away in 2-4 months on there own. My brindle Pit has skin issues. One of his bumps was damaged and wept blood. I had to have it removed surgically. They are called histiocytomas.

A histiocytoma is a benign skin tumor that originates in the Langerhans cells, immune cells that function to provide protective immunity to the tissues that are in contact with the outer environment -- the nose, stomach, intestines and lungs, but mainly the skin's surface. These cells are also referred to as dendritic cells, and histiocytes.

Histiocytomas are common in dogs, with some breeds appearing to be more predisposed that others. These breeds include flat-coated retrievers, bull terriers, boxers, dachshunds, cocker spaniels, Great Danes, and Shetland sheepdogs. More than 50 percent of diagnosed patients are under two years of age. Otherwise, there is no gender difference.

I have pictures on my profile page of my pit and his skin issue.
A 'mutt' still has a soul and still feels sad and happy, you should NOT have ANY animals with the way you treat them for sure. Get a life and let those animals live theirs with somebody who actually cares!

My miniature pinscher has red bumps all over as well, and I am thinking it's an allergic reaction to the weeds or grass outside, he's been laying in the sun a lot in our yard.
I fed my pit bull pedigree marrow bited now she has bumps i changed her food to. blue. suppose to be the best she is.itching the locations are on her back face and other places what do i do? I don't think they are fleas can some suggest something?she is one year 8 months old
Have you taken her to the vet? You may need to get a skin scraping to check for fungal or bacterial problems.

Blue is a good food, much much better than pedigree! However, if your pit has an allergy to the main protein in the Blue, it won't matter. Try switching to another high quality food (or a different Blue food) that uses a different protein source (ex. fish instead of chicken)

Good luck and keep us posted!
My 1 year and 2 month old brindle female pittbull approx 55-60 pounds is breaking out in huge bumps all over her body and face. Im assuming its from human shampoo, my husband gave her a bath with my good shampoo and this occurred not to long after, or it could be these new treats we bought her. I gave her one and a half pills of benadryl last night and it seemed that it had relieved a little, but this morning they were all the same size as before, and still has red puffy eyes, and itching again, she didnt sleep all night, and today i gave her 2 more, shes just laying in the deck window all day sun bathing , not doing much of anything! WHICH IS SO UNLIKE HER, she is very hyper and UP !! Im freaking out and need advice P L E A S E !
PS- I KNOW FORSURE ITS NOT FLEAS.
I've raised the breed since 1979. Two dogs in particular had severe summer grass allergies. Fine all winter until the mid spring weeds emerged. Tiny bumps developing first around the head behind the ears and beneath the (arm) pits. If left untreated, these would spread rapidly and intensify to the point of acute hair loss and scabbing patches. Prednisone, starting with an initial 10mg dose once daily for the first two days, then to 10mg every other day for the next four days, and finally settling into a half dose (5mg) every other day till the end of the season (around mid october). It's crucial to follow these step down dosage instructions. But with that treatment, both dogs, previously suffering miserably, could spend the summer as if completely allergy free, with the most healthy skin and coat imaginable.
i have a chihuahua mix and he got them a few months ago, my mom freaked out becuase hes her baby so we took him to the vet, my guess is she didnt know what happened to him either but to be on the safe side she took him a medicated bath and gave him injected fluids in the skin. basically treating it like if it were a flea allergy. he was fine after that although my mom has strong doubts it was a flea allergy because he has no fleas!! anyways she left it like that 400 bucks wasted, now he has them again and shes trying not to freak out because she cant afford to lol..for a while now we have all been monitoring what he eat and how much he eats of it and the bumps come back after he eat excessive amount of human food. so now poor guy is back to STRICTLY eating his food. my best guess is human food could be the cause
Ok....after spending $1200 in vet bills for my Pit/American Bulldog mix with a white coat....it is called Vasculitis. It iS an auto-immune disorder. It can be genetic or allergy related. skin biopsy (a doggie dermatologist) came back as food allergy. (Note..I moved, had the dogs kenneled..so I think stress added to this) however, he was prescribed Pentoxyfilline. After 2 months, and a good quality fish based food, he was better. Sometimes some itching ( benedry helped). This is actually serious, it looks like a few small bug bites, on legs, then moves to neck, shoulders, back and stomach. He felt very hot the other night (but in Texas it is hot out) this morning he has huge, pus filled bumps on his stomach. A severe reaction to...I am thinking ..peanut butter ( which I but in his Kong.) He is 6 and never had issues until I moved to a different county. The vet suspected grass allergies, or recent rabies vac ( no) or food.  Refered to above dermatologist.  So what happened? He went to another kennel for a day or two, and probably had a delayed reaction to ingredients ( he can't really eat beef, chicken, bison, turkey, or lamb) in their food ( note,  I should have taken his own food.....)
Initially, last fall, this looked like hives, spread all over his body, within two days ruptured into huge open sores that looked like cigarette burns on his head, ear edges where scanned and red..he was a mess. And now, it has happened again...back on Pentoxyfilline, Benedryl, Prednisone...with a wash down of cool water with baking soda...I was lucky and kept extra meds on hand from before. If it doesn't stabilize by Tues ( today is Sat) then back to doggie derm.  Again, Vasculitis is common in pets and people, can be genetic or allergen...a biopsy is needed for proper treatment. Hope this helps.....take grains, soy, corn, etc., out of their diet, feed a more expensive, but higher quality, limited ingredient food. While you pay more upfront, the vet costs are reduced down the road....
I have a 4 year old pit bull. Over the past 3years she has had more skin allergies. Its only during the summer. During the winter she has title to no troubles with her skin. When she was 2 I did a food test and its not that, these symptoms are not year round. I noticed after she's been outside on a really hot day the bumps will occur, but usually clear up by the next day. Her coat also has an oil like feel almost like she's sweating and has an odor. Shell chew up those paws too, which i believe is from the grass. She will even avoid walking in the grass if it gets bad enough. My vet strongly believes its the grass and pollen. I've read everyones blogs with similar symptoms and it seems its always during the summer. My dog was put on Temaril-p and another antibiotic and her coat looked beautiful and she felt great. It seems it is really common in pits to have skin allergies. But I do suggest the Temaril though. i used it for about a month and she did great the rest of the summer.