Dogs Community
My almost 2 yr old boxer is limping...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My almost 2 yr old boxer is limping...

I have a 1 1/2 year old boxer. I noticed that when she wakes up or has been laying around for a while, she starts limping on her front right leg. She hasn't had any surgery's since she was about 6 months old when I got her fixed. Its very strange because she will start playing, running, and jumping around. It is only when she walks.
Im very worried!!! Please help!!
How long has it been bothering her?  

It sounds to me like a possible soft tissue injury, specifically a pulled tendon or a pulled muscle.  Is she tender anywhere when you palpate the area?  It could be that the reason it seemingly bothers her when she is walking and not running could be because there is weight on the leg for a longer period of time during walking than during a faster gait.  It could also be that, depending on the way she travels (how she takes her steps) the tendon or muscle gets stretched more during walking than during jogging or running.  

I would watch her for a few more days, and if it doesn't start to resolve itself in the next three or four days, or, naturally, if it worsens, make an appointment with your vet.  In the meantime you can try massaging her leg and shoulder and seeing if this makes a difference.  Massage brings blood to the area and speeds up healing, and your dog will love the extra attention.  

Please report back periodically to let us know how she is doing or to update us on any new developments that might make it easier to tell what might be going on with her.

Ghilly
its been about a month now...hopefully not to long....i was hoping that she just hurt it playing and it would heal on its own...maybe i should make a vet apt. after i try your advice.

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear your boxer is having problems. I have a three year old male boxer (Bruno), and he is a live wire.  Always jumping and playing, and also had this same problem last summer.  I keep him inside for about a week without any play time, just trying to keep him calm.  It did the trick, he was fine when he got back out playing again.  I guess he had just pulled a muscle and it needed time to heal. Good luck
Bev
I have a beautiful 2 year old boxer. He also started limping but only after he was laying on the couch. Then one day he couldn't put that leg on the ground. It was his left rear leg.  Vet says he may have ruptured his ACL in his knee.  Xray didn't show anything, so rest and carprofen or vetprofen  for 10 days.  That seemed to help.  My dog used to pull me very very hard when walking with other dogs.  The pulling can injure tendons and ligaments easily so don't let your dog pull.  

Hope every things ok