Dogs Community
My chiwawa had a hard stomach and now her back legs are week

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My little chiwawa jumped down off the sofa and yelped when she hit the floor on all fours.
I picked her back up and her stomach was hard , an she seemed to be in discomfort . Our vet
was closed and won't be open till Tuesday . So we tried to make her comfortable this weekend.
Since the hard stomach she has lost the strength in her back legs. I'm going to try to get
her into a different vet tomorrow morning , I was hoping some one
could tell me what I may expect to hear or how to make her more comfortable till she is seen .
Thank you
Tom
Tags: legs
No help here on a diagnosis, sorry...but I read you dog jumped down nor more than 3 feet, maybe less and is a very small and light weight dog --- how old?

The immediate, as I read you post, hard stomach seems strange and would not be related to the jump down in my thinking.  Maybe something else is amiss.

If there is no evidence of broken bones and the dog is comfortable waiting to see a vet a day or two should be okay in my thinking.  If the condition is painful or appears to be deteriorating quickly I would seek emergency vet services.  We have an emergency pet hospital within 25 miles of our home, and I expect the same is true from all but remote areas in the USA.
Welcome...This is a disk/disc injury to spine....You can google: IVDD (Intervertabral Disk Disease) to read everything about it.....Until you can see your Vet, Keep her still!  She needs to be crated and only carried out to potty and then back in.....
Your Vet will prescribe prescription Anti-inflammatories & cage rest for 4-6 weeks.....This allows the disk to go back down before it ruptures....If it ruptures, then paralysis follows and it turns into an emergency.....In this case, you have around 36hrs. to get the surgery done to reverse the damage.....Good luck and let us know how she is.......Karla
Geez, that could be alot of things.  I say keep her on soft bedding, covered up to her neck if she will tolerate it.  Make sure her water and favorite foods are easily accessible.  Put all of this and her in a room that is quiet, and provide a puppy pad for accidents.  Check her every hour or so to see if she is eating and drinking.  She MUST drink, at least, for now.  You can use a syringe or turkey baster to drip water into her mouth slowly.  You can do the same with chicken broth to add nutrients.  Blessings - Blu
Jerry, Karla and Blu have all given you good advice.  It does sound like she did some damage to a disc when she jumped down off the sofa.  This happens quite frequently with tiny dogs like chihuahuas. Hopefully it is not to serious and crate rest and medication will get her back to normal.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Ghilly
Thank you all , got her to vets . She hurt her back and is on steroids now. .
Getting better slow , the little 11.6 pound pup is take ing it easy .