Dogs Community
My doberman has kidney failure- home remedies?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My 11 year old dobie, Dixie,  is in kidney failure. She's drinking alot of water, is hardly eating anything, and urinating all the time. She is my husband's constant companion and the "child of our marriage". Just when I think that the end is any day now, she goes outside to hunt moles and then eats some chicken and carrots. We love her so very much that we are beyond heartbroken. Is there any home remedy that would perk up her appetite? I don't think that she's ready to go yet. I'd really appreciate hearing any suggestions for help that we might be able to give her.
I don't have experience with kidney failure, but I had a look in the archives here (I put "dog kidney failure diet" into the search box, and a few older posts came up. I have not had time to read them all, but this one might be helpful:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dogs/excessive-thirst-and-peeing-in-house/show/736354

You could check out those old posts, see if you can find anything there to help. With kidney failure I gather that the situation is the lost kidney function does not return. BUT it is possible with careful management, to slow down the degenerative process to a great extent, and keep whatever kidney function your dog has, right now, for a time, at least.
Sorry to hear this. Its such a nightmare when our dogs are in the last stages of life. I don't know what to tell you other than I feel for you and I know how you feel. At least you have had many years with her, but even with that its just so hard. I wish dogs lived longer than what they do. Its like the death of a family member and that is what is keeping me and my husband from getting another dog right now. We lost ours over a year ago and its just so hard to think of ever going thru that again, but I have never been without a dog and the house just isn't the same....

I guess as long as she is not suffering continue to enjoy each day with her.
Take care.
MO
Google k9 kidney diet.  They are comprised of an group of tremendous knowledgeable people that have been through this and have lots of help to offer to prolong your dogs life.  Their application for membership is a little involved but its worth it.  Bless you