Dogs Community
My dog has a big stomach, what to do?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog has a big stomach, what to do?!

My dog from time to time gets a large stomach...i want to call it bloated but everything online says "oh if its bloated your dog will die REALLY fast"..so i don't know what to believe. I took her to the vet when it first started happening, all the vet could do was feel her stomach and say i need x-rays and blood work...which was 300 DOLLARS!!!...SO PLEASE ANYONE! She's a happy doggie, 10 years old going on 11, a chihuahua, rather over weight but built legs n back..but her tummy is her jello..we feed her 3 times a day small portions; each a half cup or less of dry dog food with dietary canned food...i give it to my other 2 dogs as well, one also a chihuahua just a little bit younger
If anyone can give me tips to make this stop happening or anything at all it is appertained!!!!
Yes, older dogs, like older people have high medical costs.  It might be worth calling another vet to see if you can find a lower cost for the tests your current vet says is needed.  I don't recall specific costs but can say our dog has had exploratory (I'll call it, general may be a better word) blood tests and I don't recall the item expense being real high, sort of in the area of the general cost of seeing the vet (must be $40 or so in my area - I'd have to look at a receipt).  I don't have any experience with X-Ray, but do find the $300 a bit higher than I'd expect.  

Older large dogs, not your case, have an aging problem called "fat pockets",these in my experience are identifiable "pockets", not just a general enlargement of the stomach or chest area.  From this I'd guess if you feel a general wide area of "fat" it isn't a fat pocket.  A major concern with fat pocket in my dog experience is they may have cancer associated with them, and this was the case with a Golden Retriever we had to put down about 3 years ago.

Best advice is to get tests made, but you may be able to get the cost down.  Is there a vet school or clinic or other lower cost service in your area?  I have never looked for such but the idea crosses my mind.

Finally I note 10 years old is getting up there, but small dogs often make it past 15, I believe.  So it seems worth a try to find a cure.. diet seems to already be in use, but be sure no one is slipping table scraps.  I have a problem resisting this last point myself - do enjoy seeing the dog enjoy.
You DO need bloodwork, but not so much the x-rays..... Any 10 year old dog needs a senior blood panel run to check for internal organ function.....All diseases caught early are easier to treat.....The $300 for everything you mentioned is a very fair price......However, I don't think you need xrays at this point....

Over feeding & obesity in pets is happening at an alarming rate....We are a nation of 16 million flabby dogs! Along with this goes many diseases, such  as Diabetes, Heart problems, Thyroid Disease, Kidney disease, Joint disease & arthritis, to name a few.....

If you are feeding a low quality grocery store food laden with inexpensive fillers such as corn, wheat, rice or potatoes, then we've found your problem....CORN is actually the #1 ingredient found in common pet foods and not only is it difficult to digest, it's the leading cause of obesity in animals.....Plus, serves very little (If any) nutritional value!

These grains swell in the stomach when mixed with stomach fluids or liquids.......Thus, creating the look of bloat as your seeing......Plus, you are OVERFEEDING this girl tremendously! Her digestive system could not possibly comfortably digest this much food .....She needs no more that 1/4 C. of food TWICE a day......

ADD in some healthy leftovers (Yes, Table scraps), from your table to her bowl.....Any cooked vegetables such as greenbeans, squashes, pumpkin, peas, carrots, fresh cooked meats (NOT fried), sweet potatoes, NO left over fats, etc.....These healthy foods will not only make her feel full, they are low calorie, full of moisture to help flush the system, & will provide wonderful nourishment for her body......

Healthy toppers added to her kibble would also include a dollop of lowfat plain yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese....These will help her digest her food & both are wonderful for tummies, plus very healthy.......

Good luck, Karla

Alright i will try to aska round about prices for blood work only...
Though i really would like to know why this keeps happening to her, i feel like she is wanting to tell me something. Though she just acts like it is nothing and continues on just being a dog and stuff..but when i touch her tummy she just gets quiet..
Thanks for your recommendations..