Dogs Community
My dog has a dislocated shoulder

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog has a dislocated shoulder

4390817?1240591196
I have a 2 year old pomeranian. i adopted her from an animal rescue about 3 weeks ago. the day that i brought her home i noticed she had a limp so i took her in to have things checked out and the vet thought that it may have been a pre-exhisting injury because a previous owner had beat her so badly that one of her eyes was dead and it was removed before i adopted her. the vet told me to watch her and i could give her some asprin for the pain. i followed those directions.

I took her into the vet today to have the limp checked because now when shes playing outside she runs on 3 legs not all four. long story short we had several xrays taken and she has a dislocated shoulder. the xrays are being sent off to a specialist as we speak but i am wondering 3 things:

1) if some sort of surgery needs to happen to correct this does anyone know about how much money i might be paying?

2)does anyone know what exactly can be done about a dislocated shoulder in a dog?

3) should i be asking for assistance from the animal rescue that i adopted her from since it was a pre-exhisting condition that they failed to get her checked on? (my vet is pushing me to get the rescue to pay for part of it because they should have had her checked out for the limp)

i do just want to clarify that i could care less if the animal rescue pays for any of this because i adopted my pup and am responsible for her now. im just not sure what i should do about it.
She's an adorable little girl, that's for sure!  God Bless You for giving her a loving home!

I would let the rescue know that when you received her from them you took her to the vet and that she was diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder.  They should have had her vetted and their vet should have seen that.  Now you are left with having to have this dog "repaired", when you had no idea of what you were getting into.  

If the shoulder has not been out of place too long, the vet may be able to reduce it by manipulating it back into place.  Wrapping her leg up against her body for a while so that she can't use it will help keep it in place until it heals.  If it has been dislocated for a while, and if changes have taken place in the bones from being out of joint, then she may have to have it put back in place surgically.  Unless someone knows when this injury took place, it may be that it's all going to be a guessing game and a reduction can be attempted, but if it doesn't work, or if it pops right out again, then surgery will be the only other option.

Get estimates from the vet on how much this will cost.  Present them to the rescue, and tell them that since this dog was injured when you adopted her, you feel it would only be right of them to at least help, since you thought you were adopting a basically healthy dog.  They MAY just say to bring her back and they will provide you with a dog that doesn't need surgery, however if you are already too attached to her (that's my problem, I would fall in love in the car on the way home from picking her up) you, of course, are free to turn down the option and simply pay for the surgery yourself.  

Please let us know what happens when you talk to the rescue.  I'm really anxious to see what their reaction is going to be, whether they are going to want to help, or what they're going to do.  Keep in touch and keep us posted!

Ghilly
thanks for the reply! i will for sure keep you posted. i wont hear from her specialist as to what he wants to do about the injury til monday or so. also hoping to hear back from the rescue sometime about the injury. your right i fell in love with her the car ride home. i knew she was perfect wheni first met her but wow the car ride after picking her up just made me fall in love more with her so she will not be going back and ill do anything and everything needed to get this sweet little girl back to running and playing outside.
Good for you!  She's a lucky little girl to have found you!  I can't wait to hear how she progresses and what happens with her shoulder.  Please keep us up to date!

Ghilly
my vet just called me yesterday about my pup's shoulder dislocation and the specialist decided that she was born this way. normally in large dogs they can go in a fuse the bones together to correct this but i doesnt work well in small dogs and the specialist strongly suggests we have the whole leg removed because my pup isnt even 2 years old and shes already having a lot of arthritic pain and its only going to get worse as she gets older. so with a sad heart this is what we are going to do. i am told that small dogs do just fine on three legs. i am still waiting to hear if the animal rescue is going to help pay for this surgery... kepping my fingers crossed that they will help
I am sorry to hear that diagnosis. However if I may make a suggestion, you may want to seek another opinion before amputating the leg.

Is there another Vet in your area that specializes in Orthopedics. There are several in my area that is why I am asking.

In the end you want to do what is best for your dog so that she is not in pain, but when it comes to a decision of amputation and it is not due to injury I think I would get a second opinion. Your Vet can give you something for her pain in the meantime so she is comfortable.

I hope everything turns out well for you.
Unfortunately the xrays have been viewed by a couple vets and a orthopedic specialist and they all agree.....
That is very unfortunate then. As you pointed out, she is small and hopefully she will adjust to it fine. The fact that she has not been walking on it much since birth may make the adjustment easier.