Dogs Community
My dog has a heart murmur and is retaining water but Lasix isn't wo...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog has a heart murmur and is retaining water but Lasix isn't working

I have a 14yr old Beagle who's had a heart murmur since he was younger, but in the last six months he started to pick up a cough and retaining water. So we took him to the vet and they put him on Fortekor for his heart and Lasix pills to get rid of excess water. We recently took him off the Fortekor but he still takes the Lasix, but the Lasix just isn't working. He's retaining all the water in his abdominal area, where as the rest of him is just skin and bones. In the last few days he barely eats but still drinks water, minimal moving around and he doesn't like to lye down. It's to the point where he will fall asleep sitting up and just fall over. I can also tell his breathing is abnormal and he doesn't go to the bathroom as much. Is there anything else I can do? or should I painfully face the facts and have the vet put him down so he's not uncomfortable or in pain anymore. It's going to kill me if I have to put him down but I don't want him to suffer.
Thank you,
Adam
Tags: beagle, lasix not working, retaining water, Dog, Heart Murmur
  • lasix (5 replies):
    My dog has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure....[more]
  • Lasix for Dogs (2 replies):
    My pet spaniel has been put on lasix for his heart condi...[more]
  • Hypokalemia (4 replies):
    My cat was diagnosed with impaired renal function (stage...[more]
  • FLEAS (1 replies):
    My dog has somehow gotten fleas. I bought the frontline ...[more]
  • hearing loss, lasix,cough (7 replies):
    After reading just a few comments I see that my 14 year ...[more]
I'm so sorry....Adam...it sounds like your dog is dying and drowning in his own fluids...that is why he can not lay down.... ( this happened with my dog )...You can try to keep his head and chest elevated higher than the rest of him...this may help him breathe.  
Do you know why he was taken off of the Fortekor...?  
If he was doing well with the fortekor and  lasix... I would see about getting him back on the fortekor....Fortekor and Lasix are usually prescribed together to help control heart failure.....Please call your vet immediately and ask about this.
You are both in my thoughts and prayers....
Connie
You are in my prayers as well, it is so hard. Can they tap any of the fluid ?
Believe me, we all have been where you are right now. Do your best for your dog and when the time comes to say goodbye, it will never be easy.
He knows you love him and always will. I will say a prayer for you and
your little dog. TwoBitsMom knows a lot and I would take her advice.
Thank you Connie for your thoughts and prayers and all your advice. I'm sad to say that my my dog Sydney passed away a few nights ago in my arms. I'm happy though that he didn't drown and went quite fast and peacefully. Thanks again for your help and support.
Much love <3
Adam
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Much love <3
Adam
Much love <3
Adam
Adam...I am so sorry to hear about Sydney...you did the best you could for him and he knows it.  It is a blessing that he did not drown in his own fluids, and even more of a blessing that you were there with him and he left this world in your arms.  He was a lucky dog to live his life in the company of someone who loves him.
You will both be in my thoughts and prayers...
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
Connie