Dogs Community
My dog is behaving strange

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog is behaving strange

I have a 1yr old lab/husky mix who appears like she's hallucinating, although there are times where she's actually seen a small flying bug. Either way, she gets really terrified and runs to the front door or just gets a distance away and then stares intently at whatever she thinks she sees. I rarely am able to see what she is staring at. This started a few months ago and is getting progressively worse. Once something catches her eye, even if I can't see it, it's very difficult to calm her down to where she is able to be comfortable again. It is very upsetting to see her so terrified!
The only other odd behavior she exhibits is excessive licking. She is either constantly grooming herself or licking my husband and I in a rather compulsive way.The vet is rather expensive, but if that's what she needs I will take her.
Please, can u give me any idea of what is going on with my dog and what I can do to calm her?
My dog, a female 9 year old lab/border collie mix, has also started licking obsessively and staring at things I don't see. She has always licked her legs and the floor but suddenly she is obsessively licking everything. Now she licks herself, the floor, people. I was inside and saw she was jumping around in the backyard. I thought it was a bug or something but I went to check anyways. She started barking and growling at the side of the house like there was danger. There wasn't anything on the roof. She was staring at wall. I looked around and could not find anything.I never did find out what it was. Whatever it was really upset her.She isn't doing that much anymore but she is still licking things.Angel is on Prednisone but I don't think it's a side effect because she's been on it for a while without problems. Since Angel is old I thought maybe it was old age or something but your dog is only 1 yr so I don't know. Is Angel's behavior the same as your dog's? Is your dog taking any medication? Does your dog only do this at certain times of day or certain places(like only inside or outside)? I don't know what caused my dog's weird behavior but it seems our dogs have the same symptoms. If I figure it out I will let you know. I hope you find out what's happening.
Hi.  I am a vet tech, and work with dogs every day.  Your dog is young to be exhibiting behaviors that are associated with senility in older dogs.  This suggests to me that your dog has some sort of neurological problem that could be caused my any number of things, such as dietary allergens, mentally-linked hereditary problems, or even some sort of brain injury.  Please see your vet for a full work-up ASAP.