Dogs Community
My dog is dying

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog is dying

I have a 14 year old dog who has not been able to stand for almost a year.  My husband has carried him in and out and moves him around frequently.  His arthritis pain has been controlled.  He also has a lot of lumps and I suspect he probably has cancer.  Our vet told us that when it is time he will come to our house to euthanize him.  He stopped eating 5 days ago and I don't quite know what to do.  He is still drinking water.  He is peaceful and only whines when he needs to go out.  We haven't taken him to the vet because there really is nothing that can be done for hi.  Blood work would show if he is in renal failure, which I am sure he is, but since he can't walk and has to rely on pain meds I don't think there is any treatment that would be given.  An abdominal xray would show if he has a tumor but what would be the point?  Despite all of this, I still feel guilty.  We play soft music for him and I lie beside him and pet him and tell him that I love him.  I am taking care of him like I do my patients who are on hospice.  I am wondering if I am doing the right thing.  If he were in good health I would have taken him to the vet immediately.  Has anyone here been through this?
We went through this 4 years ago, our dog was 12 and had Cushings.  We tried everything to get her to eat and make her comfortable, and would also lay next to her and talk to her. The guilt is tremendous because you know what your going to have to do, and even though you deep down its best, you keep putting it off.  I still cry thinking about it, but I know it was the best thing we could do, she didn't  deserve to suffer anymore.  I read a post that said when you put a dog to sleep your trading places with your dog, your the one suffering so he no longer has to.  Our other dog is 14, and still likes to run, I pray that when its her time she won't have any suffering, but  will have a heart attack running, it would be the perfect end for a border collie. Take Care.
Well, apparently Death took a holiday because today he has perked up and even ate some food.  He is even barking at the other dogs!  I am thinking that he must have had a really bad virus.  I just hope my other dogs don't come down with it.  
Wonderful, you delay in ending has given you dog a little more time.  Enjoy the relief but be prepared the time will come before long, I say from what I understand reading your post.

I stood by our big Golden Retriever we decided to put down at age 12.  That's old for a large dog like a Golden, and he had cancer. His life could have been extended for weeks or a few month with radiation treatment, but we decided it was best to say goodbye.  

It was hard to stand by while he slide from life, but I hope it gave his mind some comfort as he trusted me... perhaps that's the part that hurt the most, he trusted me and I couldn't tell him I did what had to be done.
I'm happy you have longer with your buddy, enjoy each day.