My dog is peeing blood and blood clots
My dog is a 17 year old rat terrier. She has been peeing blood for about six months. before the blood started she had a greenish yellowish discharge and it was coming out in excessive amounts. we went to the vet and they gave her antibiotics which made the discharge go away and about a month later she started bleeding in her bed which lasted about two months and we had to put her in diapers. we had gone to the vet for this as well and he put her on antibiotics again. now she only pee's blood instead of constant bleeding. there are large clots in the blood as well. I understand that she is an old dog which is what the vet keeps telling me. he doesnt want to do an x-ray or anything like this because he keeps telling us she is just an old dog. I am 19 years old and this dog is 17 and is like my sister to me. she also had cancer about two years ago and had a large tumor on her breast removed. I though maybe she has some kind of infection where the surgery took place causing the blood? or is this something cureable? it seems like it just keeps coming back and I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else. I dont know what else to do!! please help :( !
Oh Sweetheart.......I don't know the answer, but want you to also post your Exact question over in the "Ask A Vet" forum....It will be under "General Health". This will give you an opportunity for a Doctor to answer it, too......Hang on, Some ideas will come in soon.....Karla

P.S. Is she Spayed????
Was she ever spayed?
The reason I ask is to know whether this could be from her womb, but it would be difficult to tell, as any blood that comes out could be either from her bladder or vagina.

It is possible that she has bladder stones, or even a tumor in her bladder. I don't say that to upset you, but these things do happen sometimes.

However, the greenish-yellow discharge she had before sounds rather like a womb infection to me. But it can't be if she has been spayed.

I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to give up on an old dog. But the facts are that an old dog has a very very tough time with any kind of surgery. They CAN be ok, but it does depend on the kind of surgery, and the general fitness (for the age) of the dog. So it makes me wonder if the vet was treating this with antibiotics to see how that would work, because it is a non-invasive way of dealing with any infection (whether from womb, or bladder)

I think she does deserve an x-ray (if she would be ok with whatever sedation they would use) -just to have an idea what you might be dealing with. An ultrasound might help too?? It may even be possible to do an ultrasound without sedation, if the vet would allow you to be there to hold her very still and stop her panicking while they do it. It may be they will find nothing, and this is an infection. In which case, she will need another course of antibiotics, or a different antibiotic perhaps.

But I do feel that whatever the results of any tests, if they show something serious, it might be best not to do anything too invasive, and let her live out her days with peace and happiness and whatever palliative treatment the vet suggests....? It would be up to you.

I know, this is hard. My dog is like a little sister to me too.
I would switch vets, yours doesn't seem to be thouough enough.  She may be an old dog, but still deserves to be cured,  if possible.