Dogs Community
My dog keeps crying?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog keeps crying?

Hi I wonder if anyone could shed some light.

I have an 8 year old Neapolitan Mastiff. He has always been a happy dog and he is very active for his age. He goes for walks once a day and cant wait to get out - He wakes me up every morning for his morning walk.

I have had him since he was a puppy and nothing new has changed in his lifestyle.

Over the last year though he has started to cry all day long for no apparent reason. He is not sick (as far as I can tell) he is not in pain anywhere, he wants to play all the time, nothing has changed from his daily routine and nothing new has been added to our home (kids, animals or anything else)

He just spends the day crying while laying in the hall way. He will come in from his walk, sleep for a couple of hours and then when he wakes up he will just cry all day long until he eventually goes to sleep in the evening. He then starts the process all over the next day.

When one of us gets up to rub him, he will stop and wag his tail and be all happy again but then when we leave him to carry on with our stuff he starts to cry again.

I really don't know whats up with him - Is he depressed? Should I start taking him out more then once? He does have a bit of a wobbly leg which is why he only gets one long walk a day but ever since he was a puppy he has got one walk a day. Someone is ALWAYS home with him, he is never alone.

Is he to dependent on us? What should I do?

Thanks for reading and hopefully I can get some kind of help - Do they do doggy shrinks? :)
Tags: my dog, Crying
When is the last time he was seen by a vet?  Have you mentioned the problem to him?
He has not been to a vet for a long time as I don't think he needs to. I really don't believe he is sick as he is eating his dinner, playing with us and doing everything normal.

All that has changed is that he cries all day long for no apparent reason other then attention.
Hi...
If he doesn't start crying until AFTER he goes for his walk, maybe the walk is aggravating his hips or leg joints. He is an 8 year old Big Dog, which does mean that he has entered his senior years.
I do think he should be checked out by the vet. He may have some arthritis, or hip dysplasia going on.
Best Wishes
Connie
Hi and welcome to the forum. I absolutely agree with Connie and Lindapalm ... your dog needs to be checked over by a vet. It could be several things and it would be impossible for anyone to tell you which ailment is affecting him on a forum like this, it really needs a hands-on professional. If he hasn't been seen by a vet for some considerable time, then even a routine check-up is warrented. At 8 yrs old, he is approaching old age, and there are lots of things that could start interfering with his normal wellbeing.

Dogs cry either from pain or due to psychological anxiety. As Connie has said, it could be his joints are aching or are painful, which is why he needs a vet to check them out and administer pain-relief if needed. Older dogs can also suffer from various other problems, such as the start of hearing-loss or sight-loss - both of which could make a dog nervous and fearful as (sadly) they don't understand what is happening to them. Again, these need to be checked by a vet.

Please let us know what the vet tells you, once you have seen one. Tony
Hi was looking for some advise please , I have a staff he is 16 years old he crys all the tim , walk round in circles in the house is losing his hearing and I think he is not seeing to good at the moment we have had to put him on dry food and is till pooing in the house I hate to say it but is it time , vet will not tell me to do it just in case I blame them I feel so bad
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello
I am sorry to hear about your dog. In my experience, having a crying giant breed dog who is also a senior and ages more quickly than smaller breeds is reason enough to visit your veterinarian. This will help you to resolve this issue sooner rather than later.
Thank you
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Thanks everyone for the replies - I took him to the vet and it turned out to be arthritis in his back leg.

The vet put him on a drug called Metacam and he has been acting like a puppy ever since. He no longer poos in my house, only limps about when he first gets up, no longer cries all day long and is up and ready to go for his walks.

He is like a new dog, although he has to take this medication for the rest of his life, it is a small price to pay to see him acting like a puppy again

Thanks every
I'm glad you posted this! My mid-age golden retriever is doing the same thing and I don't know if it's a mid life crisis or what!  I'm glad you were able to find out what was wrong with your dog, I think I'll go ahead and take mine to the sudbury animal hospital to make sure it isn't something serious. http://www.baxterah.ca/
My border collie is 15 years old.  He has lost most of his hearing and has shown signs of poor mobility in his hind quarters for some time.  I have had him to the vet's, he is on Metacam but he still whines all day, even with a full bowl of water, food and after a walk.  He holds his water all night, doesn't pee or pooh in the house.  His whining is making me crazy because I can't do anything to make it stop.  Could it be time to say good bye?
I bet the metacam is costing a fortune. I get a prescription from my vet for about180 .ml bottles and get them from a trusted company on the internet at a third of the price.
My 7 year old English Mastiff (Condi) started that, at the age of 6.

Turned out to be caused by pain resulting from osteosarcoma (bone cancer).

Don't mean to alarm you with the "C" word, but as everyone above me said, go to the vet and have him checked out.

Massive-breed dogs hide pain VERY well, and if he's crying, then he's in A LOT of pain for some reason.

Good luck.
hi,
i have a 1year old male westie nad he cried all day long without reason!Vet said he is fine but I don't really understand the reason.We walk him twice per day and has a lot of toys to play with but after a while he stops and cries again.Can you please help me?Can it possibly be because of a female dog he might smelled?
Regards,
Natasa
Our 9 year old Westie, neutered male (was done when he was about 8 years old), is a barking dog, but not crying.  When we adopted him as a rescue he had an abscessed tooth which could have caused a lot of pain, still he would eat his kibble, even dry - but he had almost starved to death before rescue.  So I think it strange that a Westie would cry - have you considered getting him neutered?

To scootaru, I'd go easy on the walks, pain relief doesn't prevent physical damage.  
I have a 1yr. old english mastiff that I rescued and know nothing about her prior home but can tell she was well taken care of and she is very loving. the only issue is she cry's if she is not right there with us or if we put her to eat then she cry's if we dont let her in right after.   she even cry's when she is with us and just stairs at us for a long period of time. she is in good heath.
  Does any one have any suggestions
  Does any one have any suggestions
Hi. This is undoubtedly a psychological problem commonly associated with rescued dogs, called Separation Anxiety, which will get worse if you don't act now. Managing it can be hard. Particularly on the owners of these dogs, as part of the process involves ignoring your dog when it whines and cries and making sure the time you give to your dog is strictly limited. Basically, the dog needs to understand that nothing bad will happen if you aren't around - you will always come back to the house, you will give the dog time for cuddles, you will let it back in from being outside, etc. But responding every time the dog whines or cries, simply means the dog is learning if it whines and cries, it gets attention. Even simple eye-contact must be restricted, if you are to succeed.

This is such a big subject, so please look it up on MedHelp and the Internet for advice and management plans. Good luck. Tony
My dog is almost 1years old & yesterday she was being weird she was crying allday for no reason i dont know what to do.
Im 39 weeks pregnant and i dont know if its cause she know the baby is almost here or what.
You have probably got it exactly right ... dogs are very intuitive. She probably recognizes your condition, but may not necessarily know what it is that is happening to you. She will of course be too young to understand pregnancy, though some dogs instinctively recognize the signs and symptoms of it. She will also be picking up on your anxiety and 'mirroring' it (I'm assuming you are perhaps anxious and occasionally displaying discomfort signals, which of course is perfectly natural, but your dog won't necessarily understand this).

I am also assuming there are no other issues being presented by her, such as failing to eat or drink properly, vomiting, limping, etc. If there ARE other symptoms, then get her to a vet for a check-up asap.

Hopefully, things will settle down after the birth, but do keep an eye on things and try to reassure her as much as possible. Tony
Thanks she also has this little squeeky chicken and she carries it everywhere she sleeps with it and if i leave the room she walks around with the chicken crying and when i go back to the room she puts it down and sleeps with it
She always lays on my belly and if i leave somewhere she cries my boyfriend says she goes under the bed and howels.
She never wants to leave the room she stays in there with the little chicken
Hi Steph. This is definitely the early onset of separation anxiety, along with some anxiety about your pregnancy probably, the first of which you really need to try to sort out otherwise it could become a much bigger problem later on. I wouldn't like you to be put in a position where you had to re-home your dog, just because of sep. anxiety issues, so I do urge you to start managing this right now and hopefully things will improve.

If you can start to deal with this now, while he is fairly young, there's a chance you can help him get back to being a normal dog. But it's quite a big thing to deal with - and hard on owners too, as it means withdrawing from giving your dog so much attention. Are you up for it? If yes, I'm happy to help guide you in the right direction. Tony
Yes please help
Hello, I saw your post regarding your dog and ostio. I have a Saint that just had her right front paw amputated up to the shoulder and is currently undergoing chemo. Her ability to recover from the surgery was incredible. Within two weeks of surgery, she was running. She 7 yrs old. How has your dog progressed since the surgery? When we first saw her after surgery, my wife and I had serious second thoughts about what we had done. She seemed so frail. We were wrong. She is happy and playful again. I was just wandering, thats all. Hope your dog stays healthy and happy. Mastiffs are magnificent dogs
That's great Steph. Ok, first things first, can you give me lots info about her. What kind of dog is she? What is her routine during the day and night? When do you think the overt-crying/whining began? How long does she spend with you day and night (really, be honest, how much attention do you give her and how much does she demand)? When does she get fed? What do you feed her and does she get treats, if so, how much and when? Is she okay with other dogs? How often does she go out for walks and how long are the walks? Does she have her own bed area? Is she destructive at all, eg. chewing furnishings, pawing at doors, etc?

The more info you can give, the easier it will be to start a managing program. You will also need everyone's help with this, because if just one person doesn't stick to the program (including any children in the home), it will be undermined.

Chin up, we can sort this. Tony
Her name is Sara, she is a chihuahua mixed with weinnerher routine is usaually she wakes up goes to do the restroom & then back to sleep. She sleeps almost all day. She started with her crying about 3 days ago. Since i dont go to school or work shes with me all day. I give her alot of attention like shes spoiled what she wants she gets. She gets fed two times a day but lately she hasnt been eating. We stay sleeping in so she usually eats when we wake up which is like 11am and then again when we go to bed like 9 or 10pm. I feed her dog food its called "royal canin", i dont give her treats but my sister in law gives her some, & she only gets some like once a week. I live with my brother in law and his wife and they have a dog (Leo) , shes ok with him but shes really jelous. Its been 3days that she attacks him if he goes into my room, he has alot of toys and she never lets him play with them, if he tries to she takes them away and sometimes puts them in my room with her toys. Shes really stingy sometimes she dosent want to eat and i pretend to give leo some o her food and she attacks him an eats. If leo gets her toys she takes them away and puts them in my room. But when she sees other dogs it dosent matte big or small she barks at them. We took her to a dog park once and she was scared,. She dosent go out alot for walks i use to take her eeryday outside to pottytrain her and she learned but now i dont take her out as much maybe like 4x a week only.,& the walks are like 20-30 minutes. Yes she has her own bed, bu she wont sleep in it. Only once she slept in it. When im in my room she  scratches the door  to come in & i open it for her but she just lays there lookin at me. She dosent come in and i close the door and she keeps scratching. She bites te edges of the door.

Thank you so much
I really hope this works.
Thanks Steph. There's a lot of stuff there, and I can see how and why the sep. anxiety has begun and has probably escalated to where it is now (the whining is likely to be just the most recent symptom, but clearly this began a long time ago, and unfortunately you have probably helped create it by the way you have treated her). It's understandable. We love our dogs and want to give them everything we can, including lots of love and attention - but unfortunately, this creates problems, as our dogs start to act like human babies - and because they never mature into proper dogs, they become spoiled and grumpy adolescents.

We can fix this, but I need a day or so to work out the best way forward for you and Sara. Check back tomorrow. Tony
Hi Steph. Hoping you are well and ready to start this process. First, food ... Royal Canin is okay as a dog food, but not the best. On the plus side, even fussy dogs tend to like it, so if Sara is happy with it, that;s fine, and feeding twice a day in small amounts is better than once a day. Just one thing about this ... is this the tinned version or is it dry food. If dry, then it might be an idea to swap slowly to tinned version as dry food can lead to long-term severe and chronic dehydration, ultimately linked to kidney failure in dogs. Tinned foods have a high water content, resulting in better kidney function over time. Even better are more natural products, home cooked, such as frozen meat and white fish blocks for dogs that you can keep in the freezer and cook as required in the microwave, along with a little pasta or white rice. But for now, tinned Royal Canin is okay, if you want to stick with it.

You can read a little more about Royal Canin at http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/royal-canin-medium-dog-food/

Next ... exercise. This may be difficult while you are pregnant - but it does need addressing, as after the baby is born, your time is going to be less than now and the danger is that Sara could become secondary, causing more problems. She certainly isn't getting out enough. Even as a small dog, she needs walking every day, ideally twice a day, but one 20-30 minute walk is okay if that's all that can be managed. Who do you live with, if anyone? Can they help you with this, particularly as your pregnancy progresses and after the baby is born? If there is no other people at home, what about friends, relatives, or a local trusted dog walker? Daily walks are essential to help keep her calm - and of course for her long-term good health.

That's probably enough for you to think about right now, so I'll come back and explain a few other ideas I have to solve the sep. anxiety once you have considered the diet and exercise issues above. Let me know your thoughts and whether you can make changes to help Sara. Cheers for now. Tony
Thanks helped alot, i had my baby 9-12-13 & now sara is better she still carries the little squeeky chicken but no more crying at all now shes friendly with leo.
But now i have another problem with her, how do i get her to not growl or bark at my daughter?
When i brought the baby home yesterday she was smelling her and she growls at her and barks at her. While leo is the one who protects her. I want her to be like leo.
When my daughter cries leo comes to lick me to wake me up and sara just growls or barks.
Please help.
Hi and congratulations. Steph, this is the same problem ... Sarah is over-protecting, which is part of her anxiety syndrome. Please address the first suggestions I made - and tell me about Leo - and answer the questions I asked - then we can move on, if that's what you want to do. The anxiety won't go away. If you leave it, it will just get gradually worse. Tony
I have a dog, about to be 4 years old who has lately (within the last couple months) started whining non-stop. He cries all the time unless I am in his sight, and sometimes even if I am in his sight. I used to think it was his way of telling me he needs to go out but I'm not sure any more. It makes any living situation I am in difficult if there are other people involved, and is frustrating to me as well, as I have no idea what could be wrong. I'm about to take him to the vet and see if he's depressed or something. Anyone have any ideas for me to try? They would me much appreciated!!!
Hi. There are things that should be checked first, before you consider this may be a psychological problem. First, check his eyes for any cloudiness. If a dog starts to lose it's sight, it will often whine in fear/anxiety, because an important sense is being undermined.

Second, the vet will check him for physical problems, and I would advise having bloodwork done, just to be sure. The vet should take a small amount of blood, have it analysed (some vets can do this in-house if they have the equipment), and the results can tell us a lot about any physical ailments that may be occurring.

If he is confirmed to be physically fine ... then it's most likely going to be an anxiety issue. I will be happy to help guide you through managing and ultimately resolving this problem, if you like, but it's not easy on owners - particularly in the first few weeks of treatment. Unfortunately, it could be a separation anxiety issue, and curing this involves being quite strict about how you deal with your best friend.

Dogs don't get depressed, as such, though the symptoms they present can seem like depression. They do however suffer from fear and anxiety, which are more often the case and more closely related to the emotion we have as depression. The good thing is, dogs live for the moment, quite literally, so almost all psychological issues can be resolved, given patience and consistency.

Let me know what your vet says. Good luck. Tony
Thanks for your response. I will be taking him to the vet as soon as I can get an appt. I'm not a vet by any means, but I think for the most party he is physically fine. He runs around, goes up and down the stairs no problem, and rolls all over the carpet back and forth playing with his toys.

I am glad to hear that dogs don't so much suffer from depression as much as anxiety. I do work 8 hours a day/5 days a week, and when I am not at home he has a little crate like cage he sleeps in, so I hope he doesn't get upset because he is often in there. However even when we may be relaxing in the house he'll go lay in there and nap, so I'm not sure.

If it is indeed separation anxiety, because he tends to whine most often whenever left alone or when he can't see anyone, would you mind explaining what some suggestions would be with that?

Thank you!!
Hi. The biggest cure for separation anxiety is ensuring your dog has enough physical exertion (exercise) to keep him calm for the periods when he is alone. In addition to this, things that will keep the dog occupied for the hours he is left alone are also useful, but this is secondary. There are other matters to consider too, such as helping him acquire emotional independence from you, though from what you have said I think this may not be such a big issue.

Is there a reason you crate him when you are not there? Have you tried leaving the crate open while you are at work? If yes, what happens? If no, then maybe try it - just for a very short period at first (say while you are out for half an hour). If that is successful, increase the time slowly until the crate is open for the full 8 hours.

If that's not successful, try a Kong. You can buy these from most good pet stores. Smear a little peanut butter inside it - or anything really that you know your dog loves - and this will certainly occupy him for an hour or so, relieving some of the boredom. You might also try leaving a radio on at a fairly low volume - sometimes just the sound of a human voice is quite calming on dogs, even if it's not the owner's own voice.

How often do you take your dog out for walks (please be honest about this)? How long are the walks and what time(s) of the day do you take him out? How long do the walks take in minutes? What breed is your dog? What is your dog's behaviour like when he is with other dogs, such as off leash at a park?

Tony
Hi again!

Ok, so i keep him in the crate bc I live with 2 other people and if i don't put him in there he will sneak onto the beds/couches to sleep/roll around all day haha. But we just recently moved so I have been keeping him outside (we have a decent size fenced backyard) during the day while I am at work if weather permits to give him some room to stretch his legs and smell stuff and play. But its like he doesnt like it or something because every time I come home he frantically barks and cries until I get into the house and can let him inside. If he knows I am inside and he is outside he will cry until I bring him in.

When I do keep him in his crate I try to keep 1-2 toys in their, a rope toy and his squeaky duck/monkey to play with but I can definitely try a Kong and see if that helps.

I usually take him out after I get home from work for about 20ish minutes since he's usually out all day long so I take him for a stroll to sniff around/pee on everything. He is a lab mix, I got him as a rescue at about 6 months and they thought he was either lab/pit or lab/beagle. He likes other dogs, we have a 5 month old female chihuahua who he will play with but he prefers human interaction over dogs. Don't get me wrong, he is very friendly with other animals, but he'll pick playing with me over most dogs/cats. He can definitely be off leash around other animals if the dog park is fenced but at the unfenced ones I keep him on leash.
in there*
Hi. Weather permitting, him being outside is probably better (not ideal) than being locked up for that length of time. I am assuming he has some kind of warm dry and sheltered kennel to go in when he needs shelter from the rain/sun - and a comfy bed to sleep in. Also, most important, does he have access to clean water?

I would try the Kong. They are useful and some dogs do enjoy them. They can throw and bounce them around and chew and sniff whatever is put inside, much like a bone.

Obviously, there's no big deal about him whining and barking when you get home, because all he wants at that stage is to greet you and play with you - all perfectly natural from a dog's point of view - but what's he like when he's in the exterior part for the other time when you aren't there? Ask neighbors or someone that can approach your home a couple of times in the day, just to see if he's settled or barking/whining.

Lab/beagle mixes usually howl rather than bark/whine, so I am guessing he's lab/pit, which means he will be very single person orientated. It is extremely important you keep him well socialized with other humans and other dogs, otherwise you could have a problem later on if his singular focused intuition kicks in.

The other issue is a lab/pit mix means he is likely to be a) very intelligent and b) in need of lots of interaction/play/walks. They are amongst the more active of the breeds, so a 20 minute walk is probably not going to be enough. Two 20 minute walks might just ease things, but can you get someone to do the other walk for you or can you get home mid-way through the day to do it.

And the other issue is he is a rescue dog ... and good on you for taking him from a rescue shelter. However, almost all rescue dogs have 'issues' because of the often poor background, and sometimes early puppyhood abuse and/or neglect. If he was neglected or abused in some way, this would explain a great deal about his current behavior. He is desperate to please you and be with you, and while this can create huge problems, it is something worth appreciating and doing your level best to help him get over the 'issues' he may have.

Back to you Suzee ... let me know how you get on. Tony
Hi. Meant to add but got sidetracked ... if the only issue with him is getting in the bedrooms, can your other sharers put locks of some kind on the doors to stop him getting in there? Alternatively, the round door knobs are better than the handle types, as dogs cannot usually open round knob style handles ... this could be the easiest 'fix' to the problem and worth talking to your sharers about. Are they not happy with sharing the house with your dog? Do you rent this house or is one of you or all of you the owner/co-owners? Tony
How irresponsible can you be?  You have an old, large dog whose leg is unstable and he cries all day and you don't think he needs to see a vet?  How selfish, insensitive and CHEAP can you be??  You don't deserve that poor dog!!
U think this is the right way.
Did you realize that A) the OP posted this 2 years ago, and B) DID take the dog to the vet in a post later on in the conversation?

We try to not judge in this forum, it's not our place. If you are relatively new here, welcome to the group and I hope you can be of help to others and gain help as needed.
Hi, I have a 10 year old mongrel dog. She has recently started howling through the night and crying/whining through the day. We had to have her mum put to sleep last year (March), could this be the cause? If so why has it only started in the last month or so?
Hi. No, it is not a result of loss - sometimes dogs do become anxious and sad and indeed fearful after immediately losing a companion/pack member, but that does not usually last more than a few days or a week or two, and is far more to do with human alpha pack leaders and their emotional state.

This could be so many things it's almost impossible to say what it might be. Dogs whine and howl due to pain, a change in the home situation, loss of sight or hearing, or due to anxiety or fear. You really need to eliminate the most important first ... so a full physical examination by a vet is the first priority, as this should reduce the likelihood of physical symptoms, such as pain.

Next, make sure you look closely at her eyes. Is there any cloudiness in them that might suggest a gradual loss of sight? Check her hearing by standing behind her and clapping your hands, gently first to see if there is a reaction, and getting louder until you get a reaction.

Next, has the home situation changed at all over the last few weeks, are their new people in it, has there been a change in your or others work shifts (meaning you are out of the house more often and she is left alone for longer periods), food being fed, etc. Does she whine whether you are in the house or not? When she whines at night, where is she? Has her sleeping pattern, behaviour or place changed at all?

Tony
Hi Tony,
I hope you can help us. We have a 4 year old terrier mix. At the age of 2 she lost both eyes to glaucoma (which we found out, she was born with). After that we found out she had diabetes. Which is under control. 2 months ago she jumped off the couch and dislocated her hip. She had to have a femoral head ostectomy. Since her surgery, she whines ALOT. It doesnt matter if we are home or not. We always go to her and comfort her. She cant walk long distances yet but of course walking her is not easy with her blindness. She wakes everyone in the house every night with whinig. We go to her comfort her to calm her but do you know of something that we could do to help her? We have taken her to the vet. The vet said she is not in any pain.. Not sure what to do.

Thanks , Faith
Hi. To be honest, if this major surgery was only two months ago, I think your dog is on the borderline of post-op recovery. There could certainly still be some discomfort, though there should not be any actual pain anymore. The whining is therefore more likely to be psychological - an anxiety or fear reaction.

Where does she sleep? Is her sleeping location away from where you sleep? Has this always been the same - or has there been any change to her sleeping location over the last year or two? If nothing has really changed to cause her to be anxious, then she may benefit from a couple of things ...

Have you tried DAP plug-in calming pheromones? Try getting one and plug it in somewhere within the room she sleeps. This doesn';t work for all dogs - but there are good reports of it working for about 75% of anxiety cases.

Second, put something in her bed that smells of you and the rest of the family. An old T-shirt, for example, unwashed ... which other members of the household should also pass their body-scent onto. I know this sounds crazy, but it can work, because most dogs feel more comfortable with the scent of the pack close to them.

Blind dogs are extraordinarily resilient, but they can tend to be more fearful about certain things - particularly changes in the home. Have you recently obtained new furnishings or changed furniture around? This could also be a root of the problem.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck.

Tony
Hi Tony,  

Thank you for responding so quickly. Lucy sleeps in the kitchen in her bed  but usually wanders throughout the night and sleeps in different places in the house. She will come into our bedrooms in the middle of the night and lay there and whine. I have started to turn on the television on low volume, during the night so she hears sounds and it not so quiet.

I tend to agree with the anxiety. A lot of the times, as soon as we call her name, she wags her tail and stops whining. But then it doesn't take long for it to start again.

Where can you get the DAP plug in? We can try that. We will also try the t-shirt thing. Otherwise nothing has changed within the house. We do not allow her on the furniture anymore as we don't want her to hurt herself especially while she is still healing.

Thanks,
Faith
Hi. The diffuser is available from most good pet stores. I note its also available at PetCo: http://www.petco.com/product/10534/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-with-DAP-for-Dogs.aspx

It's interesting she moves around the house during the night and sleeps in different places. This kind of suggests she isn't happy with where she is sleeping and is probably getting concerned about it. I'm also wondering just how much her diabetes is under control. Nocturnal hypos are very common in diabetics (I know, because I am one). Is she receiving tablets or insulin? How do you test her blood-sugar levels?

Is there a place she sleeps more often than others? Maybe try moving her bed there and see what happens. Smell is going to be very important to her, as she is blind. So, is there a place outside your bedroom - maybe a hallway - where she can sleep? Here Lucy will be reassured by scent from your bedroom, whereas in the kitchen she may waken up thinking you have left the house.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Lucy's sugars are tested regularly. Her numbers are good. She is given insulin twice a day. She actually has three beds throughout the house. But she mainly uses the bed in the kitchen. She will go on the cool tile and sleep on her back, feet in the air. She'll sleep for hours like that then, move back to the kitchen on her bed. Then on the tile again in the kitchen this time.

Faith
Hi Faith. So, not nocturnal hypos then, by the sound of it. The next question would be about exercise ... how much does she get? Terriers are notoriously energetic, so a lack of exercise might be preventing her from sleeping properly at night. A good way of testing this theory would be to increase exercise two days a week, and keep a diary of events ... after two weeks compare sleeping patterns and whining with the days when exercise has or hasn't been increased. Just an idea.

Tony
I have a lab/shepard mix, 2 yrs old, female. For the past 2 days she just whines/cries..... she will play, run, drink,,,,chase her ball...sleep...etc... not eating too well, eats her treats though of course, but just cries. She has always had a sep. anxiety issue....but now just wont leave my bed...takes a toy in there with her... and stays in there. If my other dog goes near that toy, she will growl...and they are best buds!!!I checked her whole body, moved her legs, looked in paws, etc...but she runs still like a maniac after her ball, so I do not think its a PAIN issue.... I do not know how to help her or snap her out of it ...and why all of a sudden? And why wont she leave my bed? any suggestions on how I can help my poor Sadie...its breaking my heart
Hi. Dogs are extremely intuitive and always pick up on any emotional stress shown (or not shown) by their owner. So, the first question would be to ask whether you have been particularly emotional or anxious or stressed over the last few days. If not, then there may be other issues ...

Holding on to the toy is indicative of an anxious dog that has centred her possessive qualities on the toy. It is simply a symptom of stress. The toy is rather immaterial, therefore, and if you were to remove it, she would just centre on another object. It is extremely important you first get her along to the vet and have blood panel checks undertaken, because even though you may not see anything obvious, there may be an underlying illness causing these symptoms. If there is no physical cause, then come back and let us know.

Tony
I went home today for lunch, and no whining....just the usual crying when she first sees me....
she ran and caught her ball like 15 times.....
Only thing we can think of that changed, I she saw me pack a small suitcase on Saturday morning as we were to be out all day. Not too long after that, she started to act funny.....Friday nite, she wasn't like this.
and yes, you are right with the toy, when I remove it, she just takes something else, even if a bone, a sock, etc....we went away in august for almost 3 weeks. Maybe she remembers the suitcase? can she? if she starts up again, I will call the vet tomorrow. my daughter (16) home with her now and said no crying..... so sad as it may seem, I hope its the suitcase. She always had some anxiety issues, just not this weird. I could never crate her when a puppy, as she FREAKED out ,more than anything I have ever seen in my life..... and I had her at 6 weeks old.  person who we rescued from, lied and told me she was 8 weeks, vet said 6.... shes very attached to me..... although there is a family of 4... I luv her to death, just seems I am dealing with her all wrong..... I thank you for your assistance!!!!  
Hi. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Yes, the suitcase makes absolute sense to me. It was a trigger - and now she's fixated on that anxiety. I think there's lots you can do to help her break this attachment, but it will be quite hard. My guess is you are now starting to appreciate that this excessive attachment is actually starting to cause her stress.

Can I ask ... what's she like when left on her own, with no humans in the home? Does this ever happen?

I noticed you said she was with you in the bedroom and wouldn't leave your side at that time. Where does she normally sleep at night?

Tony
she is my second skin....... never leaves my side. wherever mommy goes, Sadie goes..... but she just seems still a little off.... shes eating, playing, a little crying..... but still has the toys and lay on them on the couch....she always sleeps with me... I hid the suitcase...she played a lot last nite outside with her ball....but still is OFF..... just IDK...seems sad...weird for me to say that....but seems sad.... even laid in bathroom today while I showered..... hopefully she snaps out of it..... I just worry nothing physically wrong, but with all the jumping and playing and running, my guess I have an emotional dog....my other dog missing her...senses something is off and is distant with her these last few days... Just don't know how to snap her out of it....
Hi again. I think we can solve this problem, BUT it is extremely important to have her checked out physically first, just to be certain it isn't a physical ailment. I understand from your prior post you are at the  with her today. Let me know what the vet's assessment of her physical condition is - please make sure he does a full blood panel test.

Tony
I go home for lunch pretty soon.....as I do every day...my girls are only alone in the morning, as I go home at 1, my husband at 2 for lunch and my daughter gets in from school at 230....

Hopefully will be good news.....

I checked every body part on her, ears, feet, teeth, lol.....
Thank you so much for listening, and I hope it is nothing.....
Well went home at lunch, seems a lot better
No crying, played like she normally does.....still weird on couch
with her toys, with not letting other dog near them...but dug a big
hole in yard while I was home too and buried her ball in it.... she ran..peed, drank....hopefully all just anxiety...... I will keep a watchful eye on her.......
but seemed sooooo much better...almost back to normal......
even barked at the vacuum.....which is all normal for her...
Did you go to the vet?

Tony
Hi Tony wonder if you can shed some light. I have 2 gorgeous boxer boys, brothers of 6 months. I have had them since they were 8 weeks old. The last few days one of them randomly whines. And I can't figure out why. They get walked once a day, play outside when it's dry, play inside together most of the time and with their toys. Are feed 3 small feeds and get some sort of kong treat or chew one a day. They also do their puppy training. As they are boxers I am very aware that they need lots of things to occupy them and am very lucky that they do not chew any of the furniture etc. I cannot find anything to explain his whining as I have worked part time since we've had them and now on maternity leave but still go out at lleast once a day to prevent them getting use to me being around too much. They have each other for company so are fine being left and good overnight. Only thing I am wondering is if it is my pregnancy as I'm due any day now but I was already 5 months gone when we got them so surely they wouldn't know any different. Have been neutered at 5 months and finished all checks with vets and both healthy and happy.
Is there anything I've missed you think could have started his whining ?
Good luck, Metacam gave my dog black tarry stool o
n the fourth day. Watch your dogs stool closely. I give my dog traumeel now,its a lot less toxic.
Hi. So sorry for not replying earlier. Somehow your post didn't come up on my WatchList. I'm hopeful by now the whining has dissipated. I don't think you have anything to worry about, as your pup seems happy and healthy. I would only suggest maybe this particular pup is more prone to anxiety than the brother, and may well be picking up on your own possible anxiety (due to pregnancy). It's one of those things, some pups do whine more than others, but it's also worth keeping an eye out for any increase in frequency or severity. Unlike a young baby, young pups go through an extremely fast transformation and are growing and developing at a remarkable rate. Even at 6 months, they are changing from children into young adults, so you can imagine the trauma they may be feeling.

I think you are doing just fine, but do see your vet if you think the whining is getting worse.

Tony