Dogs Community
My dog suddenly lethargic&won't drink. Why?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog has been acting funny about water for about 2 weeks now. She has been drinking some, but not as much as she usually does. She acts as if she's scared of it. I wondered if a tooth may be sensitive, so tried her with cold milk mixed with water (about 25% skimmed low-fat milk 75% water, a small bowlful.) She drank this fine, so it seemed no trouble with tooth.
Then she flatly refused to have anything to do with water, and cringed if she went anywhere near her water dish. I got water out on a big spoon, and poured small amounts into my hand, and she drank, maybe about 3 dessertspoons this way.  I had to give her the milk/water mix every day or she wouldn't drink at all, even though I know milk is bad for dogs. On Sunday last I was telling a friend about this, and guess what? My dog suddenly up and DRANK! A nice lot of water! But since then, it's been the same old thing, all week now. She gets lots of exercise, does a lot of running, so I guess she needs to drink plenty.
Anyway, though she was fine, fit, active and ok yesterday, this morning she was suddenly not right. She took ages getting up in the morning. I'd been up 1 hour before she got up, and that is weird. When she did get up, she was panting, though that passed off after a few minutes. She was hungry for breakfast, and her business and urination was normal. As we live in the country, and she pees on grass, it's hard to check her pee so I let her pee on my hand, to check if there was blood in it, and there wasn't. It was yellow, not too dark, and not very smelly.
All day she was lethargic,didn't want to run much, like usual, but came for her 2 walks anyway, and had a bit of fun, but refused her dinner, looked very sad, and just slept. (That is very weird. Her appetite is usually good)
I felt her belly, and body to see if she winced with any kind of pain. She didn't.
I checked her for classic signs of dehydration (The skin-pinch test, and pressing her gums test,) all normal.
Tonight she ate 4 small biscuits, enjoyed them, but didn't care if she got more or not. And I got 3 dessertspoons of water down her, but I know that's not enough.
She's 10, normally in fantastic health and condition, and goes for 2  3-mile walks a day.
If she's the same in the morning I'll take her to the vet, but I don't think they'll know WHAT this is...
Can you help at all, in the meantime?
ok thought I'd post this update. She's absolutely fine now! She was fine the next morning. The only reason I posted was the vet was closed, and I wasn't sure if I ought to call emerency or not. I stayed up most of the night to watch over her (silly me!) She was sleeping like a baby. Next day, all well. She's even ok around the water bowl again, suddenly (don't know what THAT was all about!)
Glad to hear your doggie is back to normal. Best Wishes
Yeah....don't we worry about them? Like they were our little sisters/brothers...?