Dogs Community
My dog wet my bed!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog wet my bed!

My 2 year old male Cavalier went to the vet on Tuesday.  Now wednesday morning he was crying to go out at 6:00 am and had peed a small amount on the floor by the door.  This morning I work up with him on my bed, lying in a small puddle of pee.  UGH!  My question, could a trip to to vet and getting vaccinations cause any of this?  He never ever had an accident in the house...not even as a puppy.  Should he go back to the vet?
Thanks.
Duke's Mom
There has been an on going debate as to whether it is safe to vaccinate your dog every year after the initial vaccinations are done.

We do have to get rabies shots by law, but after my dog finished her series at 0ne year old, she no longer gets vaccines, but instead gets a titer test each year to see what the level of vaccines are in her system. She is 7 years old and her titer test shows that she is fine and is immune to distemper etc.

But wanting to go out at 6 am, might not mean anything. Maybe she didn't go out late enough the night before? My dog, I have to let out at 9pm for the last time at night and then she seems fine thru the night and sometimes I have to force her to go out in the morning. I always found females are lazy with wanting to go out to pee, she would rather hold it in and be uncomfortable I think.

But you may want to check out Shirleys wellness cafe. it is a holistic site. has lots of info not only about dogs, and humans too.  My vet is holistic and will not vaccinate a dog unless she does a titer test to see if the dog is low on the vaccine and as I said, my dogs titers are like they just received the vaccines. The problem is some doctors feel the overvaccinating is why we see so many dogs with cancer these days. I lost a dog to Osteosarcoma and thats when I found out about the controversy with vaccines. That dog always got the vaccine as soon as I received the card from the vet and unfortunately I knew nothing about the vaccine controversy.

But your dog is only 2, so I don't want to scare you...she hasn't had years of vaccine on top of vaccine yet.....

I just remembered something,,,,,,years ago I was going to this one vet and my dog was non stop peeing from late the night of the appointment and the next morning she was still having a problem. Ran back over to the vet and winds up she had a UTI which she didn't have before I had the appointment....I think the table he put her on may not have been properly sterilized and she caught germs from the dog that was on the table before her who probably had a UTI.

Good luck.
Myown gave you some excellent information on vaccines.  In some localities, you don't have a choice due to regulations: by law, dogs have to have certain boosters annually.  In my area, rabies is the only vaccine that is required annually unless there is an underlying immune problem that would make the vaccine fatal to the dog.  Everything else like parvo, kennel cough, etc., can be put off as long as the blood titres still show immunity.

Part of the problem is that vets and local governments have to go by the recommended dosing instructions from the vaccine manufacturers.  When the vaccines were tested, they were checked for efficacy at one year; therefore, the recommended dosage is one year.  In the past few years, additional long-term research was done that showed many vaccines lasted up to three years, but not in 100% of the research subjects.  That's why it's necessary to check blood titres after one year.

Opinions on this issue also vary depending on which vet you speak to.  While many agree that annual boosters aren't always necessary, that annual exam may be the only time in a year that a dog sees a vet.  There have been a few times we've been surprised to find little things needing treatment when we assumed we were going in for a "well" visit.  My own vet knows that we always bring our dogs in if we suspect a problem, and will work with us on the vaccine issue.  

Back to your original question, I doubt the vaccine had anything to do with the urinary problem.  As Myown pointed out, it's maybe possible the dog picked up a bacteria from some surface at the clinic, but it's a pretty remote possibility.  Obviously something isn't right so go with your gut instinct and take him back for an exam.  If possible, bring a urine sample to the clinic with you.  If you can't get the sample to the vet within about an hour, you can keep it in the refrigerator for a few hours until you can get going.  Just pop a plastic cup under the urine stream.  It doesn't take a whole lot of urine to be able to check for a UTI, so even if you can only get a tablespoon or so, that's fine.

I hope it turns out to be a simple UTI that antibiotics will cure in short order.  :-)
Myown gave you some excellent information on vaccines
--------------------------------------------
Thanks. I just wish I didn't have to learn the hard way.

And the actual way I connected it all was after I had to put the dog down, I had seen a pamphlet at a different Vets office that talked about vaccines causing Osteosarcoma in cats and thats when I started researching about vaccines and dogs and found that this seems to be a debate amongst Veternarians.

I hope others that read this look into this on their own. We certainly do need to vaccinate our pets, but not as often as we have been told.

Take care.
MO
I don't believe she could have gotten a UTI from the table top, more than likely the fact that she tends to hold her urine in is the culprit.  Go outside with her to acertain that she urinates and urinates a good amount.  Beeing an RN I know that when do not empty their bladders completely the urine left behind can become contaminated with bacteria thus causing a UTI.  Good luck...