Dogs Community
My dog won't poop!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog won't poop!

Little background! My dog, Kipper has a sensative stomache so we try not to give him much table scraps. He's a 4 year old Pekingese. Healthy and active. He was raised among 5 other small dogs while I still lived with my parents. Just about a month ago my fiancee and I got our own place. At first Kipper didn't really poop, but I figured it was because it was a new place and instead of having a doggie door where he could go out whenever he wanted, we now have to take him out to potty. I never really paid much attention to his routine at my parents because I wasn't about to follow him out every time he went outside...Well when we moved it took him a couple days until he pooped the first time. Then he got into a routine of pooping when I got home from work every other day. Then after the 2nd week it became an every day thing. I took him with me everytime I went to my parents house and he would normally have a BM everytime we were there. I took him with my to a big family BBQ at their house on Monday and he seemed fine, but I guess he had a bit of diarrhea right before we left. My mom called and told me while I was driving home. I took him out every couple of hours with no result. At 3:30 in the morning he woke me up because he was walking up and down the hallway and I had noticed he had an accident. It wasn't solid but it wasn't runny either. I figured his stomach was upset because being around so many people..and getting more treats then he should have! Well...he hasn't pooped since...He eats and drinks just fine, he's acting normal and happy. I felt his stomach and it wasn't hard and he didn't flinch. I don't think hes in pain, but I am worried because he hasn't pooped in almost 4 days! I'm thinking he may be constipated and I can't afford to take him to the vet, I will if I have to...but it would completely break the bank as I just paid rent... What should I do? I ran around with him last night for about a 1/2 hour and that usually gets his bowels moving..but nothing! What would you do?

Thanks!
  • Dog (3 replies):
    is it normal for a dog not to defecate daily
If you're sure there's no chance that he could have gone without you realizing it, four days is a long time for them to go without going, I think what I would do is call the vet and tell him or her what is going on, tell them that the dog is acting normally, and see what they can suggest over the phone.  Maybe they can tell you something to do or to give him that might make him go before you actually have to take him in for an examination.  

I would just feel better if the vet KNEW about the situation, then if he or she doesn't want to see the dog, that's up to them, but I am a firm believer in erring on the side of caution when it comes to our pets' health, and since this is definitely not normal, as I said, I think they should at least be made aware of the situation so that if you DO end up having to take him in, they will already have a knowledge of the situation.

Please keep us up to date on how things go with him.

Ghilly
Give him a tablespoon of mineral oil, (or canola oil, or olive oil).  "Hairball Remedy" for cats (by Hartx)- at Walmart works just as well.  To administer, get a baby medicine dropper in the plunger style at a drug store, (cut off the tip to make it wider) and plunge into back of mouth/throat.  Hold the mouth closed and up and rub adams apple area so that dog will swallow- or blow towards nostril area- that also triggers a swallow reaction.  You can also get a big syringe without a needle from a Farm Supply store, (sold to administer vaccinations to farm animals) if you can't find a plunger style baby medicine dropper.  That lubrication in the system does the trick.
P.S.  milk usually causes dogs to have a bit of the runs- so if you're in a pinch/don't have any oil in the house, milk would probably loosen things up if its an emergency.
Thanks for the advice..literally an hour after I posted my fiance called and told me he went, twice! lol I think he was just a bit backed up and constipated. Hopefully things start flowing smoothly again for him. Thanks again for the support!
It could be all the disruptions in his routine which have caused this, but you could try him on a gluten-free, pretty high-fibre diet if you can find something like that where you live. I have one for my dog, but I live in the UK. I don't know what is available where you are.
Or you could try giving him some brown rice with his food each day, or even a few pieces of apple. Brown rice has good natural fibre, B vitamins, a small amount of protein, and suits most dogs. Apple is ok, but make sure no core/no seeds. Apple doesn't suit all dogs, so I have heard,  but all the dogs I have known loved it, and it always helped with natural healthy bowel movements.

Exercise helps too. A run-about followed by a steady walk usually encourages a bowel movement naturally.
my chihuahua hasnt pooped in 2 days except yesterday morning. Is there  something wrong or am i stressing over nothing
We just moved to a mobilehome park from a house with a big backyard, we lived there fpr 3 yrs.  This place has a yard in back but it is all gravel. We have been here for a week and I take my golden ot often but he will not go pee or poop. He doesn't go in the house, which is good but h will not do anything hen I take him out.  What can I do?
The best thing would be to take him for a walk somewhere. He will go I'm sure if you walk him. Dogs need a little exercise before they go poop (particularly)

As for peeing. It could be that he hasn't "marked" it yet, so is still viewing the yard as part of your house! You see, he's a very good boy!
A trick you can try is one day when on a walk, take a small jar with a screw-cap with you. When he lifts his leg, catch his pee in the jar. Take it back home, and sprinkle it in a place out the back. Then he'll get used to his scent out there. You might have to do this a few times for it to really work....
Good Morning!
I have a rescue fella...about 9 years of age.  Heaven only knows what he was fed or forged upon.  He has a very sensitive stomach.  ANY dog food with dyes (red is the worst) make him either constipated or difficulty eliminating...too much straining.

I give him 1 heaping tablespoon every other day of canned pumpkin.  NOT the spicy stuff.  Plain, straight ol' pumpkin.  Keeps him regular.  He loves it.  Problem solved for us.

Oh!  He weights 20+ pounds so adjust accordingly.  Good luck!

Elliot777