Dogs Community
My dogs a tea-leaf

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dogs a tea-leaf

Why does my eighteen month old lab always run off with remotes , t-shirts , mobiles ,shoes & just about anything he can grab and run off with ? Sometimes he can drive you nuts not to mention that to replace a remote for eg: isn't cheep . Is it that he wants to be chased or what ? Any advise please.
Tags: my dog
This really made me smile! However I understand it's not so funny being on the receiving end of this mischief!
You have what appear to be two options....
One is YouTube all this as a home movie, get some advertisers on, make some money out of him! LOL! It would be hilarious!

The other option is make a real effort to train him out of this.
Now....have you ever laughed, or have you showered him with sudden attention whenever he's done this? In which case, for a dog that means "hey I'm OK, they give me attention, therefore this must be right" Remember -even negative attention (swearing, chasing after him, getting hold of him, etc) means something to a dog as a form of play, and reinforces the behaviour.
Maybe he's seeing you more as Pack Buddies/playmates than he is seeing you as his Leader?

Try this....Get him to sit/stay at your command. When he can do that just fine, then hand him something (one of his toys for instance) When he grabs it, tell him immediately to stay!  Then tell him to drop/let go/give (whatever command you want to use) Say this quickly and firmly, and mean it,  as if you can't even imagine he won't do it.-don't shout and don't get emotional-  When he does drop, give him as much attention as you like, and really praise him, or give him a small food treat.
If he won't drop, get him to sit/stay. If he will "lie down" so much the better, because you will have him in a submissive position, and more relaxed too. Then, saying the word "drop" (or whatever word you choose) again, take it out of his mouth. Only if you feel his jaws relaxing and giving up the object as you do this -praise him. Otherwise start again.

All this training may take some time to perfect. Or he might respond very quickly.
But keep doing it, and see what happens.