Dogs Community
My dog's feet are unusually cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog's feet are unusually cold

My dog spends a lot of time out of doors, and yes, it's winter, so when she comes in in the evening, I dry them off (she goes in dewy or wet grass so they get cold and damp)  Yet I have recently noticed that even after an hour or so, in the evening, and with a log fire going, her feet take some time to warm up. I put a warmed-up blanket over them, and rub them in my hands, but even so, they feel cold. Eventually around 10pm, they are warmer.
This is unusual. Before this didn't happen. She would come in with cold feet, and after about 1/2 hour they would be warm.
She is showing no other signs of ill-health, is eating/drinking/sleeping fine, BM ok, urine ok, is getting lots of exercise, and has her usual boundless energy.
But could this be a sign of a circulatory problem?  
I'm with you.  I think it's a circulation problem, and that could stem from any number of reasons.  It's time for a vet checkup and also time to keep her indoors more often.

We had a thread going for a while regarding cold weather protection for dog's feet.  A product called Musher's Secret helps protect the pads from snow and ice cuts, but also keeps the area dry.  That might help a little bit, but you still need to find out why this change has happened so drastically.
Thanks Jaybay. It's not really that cold right now where I am. All the snow/frost/ice has gone, and it's cool, but more like spring, and certainly nowhere near freezing. It's dry weather too (though the grass is never dry really)
I know for a fact that she would go witless if I even thought of keeping her in!  She just wants to be outdoors. And she just wants to run.
But I will speak to the vet about this, because it has only just started happening, and if it is a circulatory problem, maybe we can nip it in the bud (?) She got her yearly health check just after Christmas, the vet listened to her heart, and found no irregularity. But maybe they need to check her out again, and more thoroughly?
Yes, cardiac would be the first thing to look at, but also thyroid function and possibly diabetes.  

Is there any way you can install a dog door?  I swear, that alone helped out so many issues with our dogs.  We close it at night since we have critters who sometimes like to venture in (coons and possums, etc.) but during the day the dogs come and go as they please.  We installed the door ages ago and what a relief not to have to worry about working late to let the dogs in or out whatever.  Having wonderful neighbors to feed on the odd times or vacation times helps too.  :-)
Oh wow! I wish! But if I had a dog door, I know what would happen. She would only use it if she heard something bark-worthy going past the house (to rush out and bark at the jogger/squirrel/postman/horses/ fence!) The rest of the time she would hang around whatever I was doing, yawning at me in a noisy kind of way, and would stand probably near the door, waiting and pleading with her eyes for me to go walkies with her!

But thanks for the advice about her cold feet. Yes thyroid (should've crossed my mind, but didn't) might need checking, and Diabetes. Because she's got no other symptoms, I never thought of those things. However, if they're caught early I guess there'd be a good chance of treating successfully. I'll take her to vet, get her checked.
While you're investigating why your dog has cold feet, have you tried putting boots on her?  Our husky wears boots in the cold weather (we're in Canada so it's really cold).

I hope she's alright.

Thanks lonewolf, but it's not that kind of weather here right now. I know booties are a great idea, as ice and snow can freeze in between dogs' pads. I think sled dogs wear them? Is that right? So they are not just for pampered wussy-pups! if even tough guys wear them!

But my dog's cold feet thing right now isn't because of freezing weather. Spring is even coming now where I live, and it's quite mild outside, and not even raining.