Dogs Community
My female mounting my other female, i don't understand
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My female mounting my other female, i don't understand

My husband and I recently adopted two female dogs. One is a 2 year old rot/lab mix and the other is aprox. 1 1/2 shephard/chow mix. The rot/lab is spayed and the shep/chow is not. I have, on very many occasions, witnessed our shep/chow mounting our rot/lab (though they are both female). I must admit that I just don't understand. What makes matters worse is that when it happens, though I try to stop it as soon as it does, it forces my rot/lab into a sitting position. I believe this is causing a hip problem since right after it happens she starts to limp and favor that side. It is always the right hind leg and every time we look at it we can't find any injuries. I am hoping that someone can give me some insight or suggestions on what I can do to stop this behavior. Thanks.

Icesoldier
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
82861_tn?1333457511
Mounting behavior is not always a sexual behavior.  When one dog mounts another, it is to assert dominance.  If the other female doesn't mind, and isn't fighting back about it, don't worry about it.  The one thing you should worry about, is that your dominant dog who is doing the mounting, may not see you as the Pack Leader.  If you're having any other behavior difficulties, get in touch with a veterinary behaviorist.  Otherwise, the mounting is just part of dog behavior in estabishing who is going to be Top Dog in the pack.
Blank
well unfortunately i have seen the other dog fight back on a couple of occasions. and it still bothers me because i think that it is causing the mounted dogs hip to act up and cause her pain. i'm still not sure exactly what to do.
Blank
Your female is mounting her for dominance, the thing is if the other one is fighting back then she is not submitting to her. Dont worry to much about it. Did you just get a new dog? One of them has to back down before this will end. Make sure you do have dominance over both dogs. If you are you might be able to get them to stop on your own. I am not sure if you have herd of the dog whisper. I have just started watching him and I relised I do not have dominance over them. but I am getting there. You might want to check him out.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...