My puppy sneezes and chokes for air on her back
I have a 3 1/2 month old Maltese-Poodle puppy.  She's a wonderful little girl.  Very playful and healthy.  The only thing is when she is laying on her back for too long she begins to sneeze a lot.. so usually, we sit her back up and she's fine.. she stops sneezing.  Tonight my roommate had her on his lap, on her back rubbing her belly..  she started sneezing so he sat her up, only she couldn't catch her breath.. she was gasping for air.. I tried patting her chest?? her back?  We put her down and gave her some room..  it lasted about 20 seconds... very scary!  She caught her breath and was very scared.. she clung to me when I picked her up.. nuzzled.  she was shaken...  WHAT WAS THAT!!??  It's been about 40 min now and she's fine.. she's playing like nothing happened..
Does anyone know if this is a clear symptom of some puppy ailment?
Thanks.. :)
Hi, sorry you have this concern with your puppy.  Has she done this since you've had her or is it something new?  How long have you had her?
Gee, I've never heard of this in Maltese or Poodles but I know a breed like a Pug can have elongated soft palates and collapsing tracheas.  Does anything ever come out her nose, even a little, like food or water?  I ask this because she may have (even a hairline) cleft palate.  
Has she been to the Vet or due to go in soon for shots maybe?  I would mention this to the Vet and have him/her give the puppy a thorough examination.
Wish I could be of more help.
Thanks so much for your advice.  I've had my puppy for about a month now.. she's done the sneezing thing lots, but not the gasping for air part..  We're due to go in soon for some more shots, so I'll just keep her off her back for now and ask the vet about it when I see him next.
Thanks again... :)
Hello & welcome....

Google:  "Reverse Sneeze" & see if that's what your dealing with.....It's very common in Toy Breed & harmless.....Just shocking to watch!  ;)     Take care, Karla
Karla, I was thinking reverse sneezing also, and it well may be that. What concerned me is her not catching her breath and gasping, if that is what was happening.  Hope the Vet can figure it out and Tarfarmoo, will you keep us updated?  
We can give some advice on some issues, right or wrong, but often times other people's experiences can be learning experiences for us all.
thanks
Margot, your right....I orginally thought "Collapsing Trachea" because of the gasping for air... Unless it's a Congenital Defect, I felt she was too young to have developed this, so I went with Reverse Sneeze....

However, she's the perfect breed to develope this problem later in life!    Karla