Dogs Community
Nasal congestion & bulging eye

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Nasal congestion & bulging eye

6 yr old Yorkie/Maltese mix. She has had severe nasal congestion for 4 weeks. Wheezing thru the nose, also gurgling purring sounds when exhaling.  Lungs are clear. Has had a 10 day round of antibiotics and decongestant with no improvement. Had a 3 day breathing treatment, no improvement. 3 days ago her left eye appears to be bulging out. Went to vet again, pressures are normal. Was given another antibiotic, and eye drops. Was asked to come back on Monday to have someone else look at it. Go in today, and new Vet says it it the most bizarre thing he has ever seen. Called in 2 other Vets to look. Now I am being sent to someone else who specializes in eyes. I feel the nasal cavity is obstructed somehow, (A Mass?) and is now affecting the eye.
She is eating, and acting normal, just difficulty breathing.
my 10 year old lab mix has almost the same thing. I just noticed the eye issues today.  A steroid shot helped the breathing for about a week.  he is back to sucking air now and i noticed his eyes are extremely red and bulging.   The vet said that it was allergies that caused the breathing problem.  we thought it was an obstruction but he wasnt getting air flow through either nostrol.  

please let me know what your vet has told you.  
Eye specialist felt it was some type of systemic process, such as Lymphoma. We did xrays and lab work which came back normal. Eye was bx. and showed no evidence of neoplasm. Eye Dr. is waiting on 2nd opinion. We were referred to another clinic where they could do a scope of the nasal pharynx area. Was told that the tissue was abnormal looking. Waiting on results now.
email me
***@****
krlo35 at  aol  dotcom
Can you pls tell me what happened to your dog? My Spitz is having the exact issue now. Did your dog symptoms cleared up?
all the above are symptoms of thyroid problems and larangeal paralysis ask your vet about these
My dog had same symptoms - congestion, sometimes slightly runny nose, eyes bulging and he also started turning his head sideways.  Turns out his thyroid was not producing enough thyroxin.  He's started thyroid supplements 2x day and he goes back to the vet in a couple more weeks for additional blood work.  He doesn't turn his head sideways anymore except when going down stairs he does it alittle, but his eyes still seem 'poppy'.  He's a young dober boy - 3 years old.  Thyroid issues are common in this breed, but I'm not convinced it's his only problem.  He's very active, eating fine, playing with his brothers, but his eyes are red and not as bulging as before, but I think he may also have allergies.
i think the symptoms are all quite similar in most of our cases. I have a 6 y.o. maltese who had 2 teeth removed ~ a month ago. she developed a watery glazed left eye and  began acting lethargically- "sighing" frequently 2 weeks after the operation, with changes only in diet tending on a healthier side (less poultry more veg) at first seeming to be a positive change. Now with totally blocked 'boogery' nostrils and an irritated eye a specialist confirmed my suspicion of this being a "process" of eliminating or flushing passages of inflaming obstructions and reducing pressure on facial nerves. She said quite effectively that this condition should end naturally and without danger within 4-6 months. Good luck, hope this is reassuring in some way friends
-guosim
i have a 12 yr old pug with cushings disease and she always sounds congested and cant hardly breathe through her nose.lungs and chest arent congested.  vet xrayed head and found a mass in her nose.he said it is too risky to put her under to look up it. her lymph nodes are also swollen in her neck. she sneezes a lot and rubs her nose also. when she is still or sleeping she breathes fine.hhe has given her everything he can because of her condition and nothing has helped. she acts fine and eats and drinks and plays like normal. i feel helpless. i dont know what to do. i have had her since she was 5 wks old and she is my life. i have spent thousands of dollars on her medical care and this lastest thing just seems like a cruel joke. does someone have any suggestions? could a mass seen with xray be something lodged up her nose? help!
I have a feeling things did now go well for the dog, since krlo never came back or responded since Nov 2007.
How is your dog now? I have a 12 year old doxie that for 3 weeks now sounds like she has a head cold always sneezing an snorting. Tried all kinds of antibiotics and antihistimines and nothing works....I'm puzzled and so are 3 different vets.
Can you write me
***@****
thank you
My GSD mix had serious nasal congestion last fall (10/2013).  My vet also noticed that he had a large ulcerative lesion on his hard palate.  After numerous antibiotics, visits to two specialist vets and several imaging studies and biopsies (and numerous misdiagnoses) he was eventually diagnosed with a rare fungal disease - Conidiobolus (or Conidiobolomycosis).  The diagnosis took several months and I was very close to putting him down as I felt he was suffering.  This fungus causes major swelling of the nasal passages and eventually grew behind his eye.  Once he started on the antifungal mediation - Sporonox (Itraconazole) his condition improved rapidly. He needs to stay on the medication for 6 months to a year as the fungus can return, but he is now perfectly fine.  I a sure this nasty fungus kills numerous dogs since it is so difficult to diagnose.