Dogs Community
Natural Promise Fresh Dental

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Natural Promise Fresh Dental

I have come across a product in the UK (it's actually an American product imported) that claims to be all natural ingredients called Natural Promise Fresh Dental, which is a blue gel-like formulation claiming to fight gum disease, remove plaque and freshen the breath of dogs without the need for brushing. The ingredients include aloa vera leaf juice, mint, natural derived alcohol, carbopol, green tea leaf extract and glycerine.

If anyone knows anything adverse about either the product or the ingredients, please could you let me know. If the product is safe (as it claims to be) then it would suit my dog much better, as he hates having his teeth brushed with doggy toothpaste.
Hi Tony...
I just recently asked my vet what type of dental products might help to reduce plaque build up on my dogs teeth. Her reply was...brushing. Then she went on to say, that if I do not brush their teeth, that the best products for dental care, are the ones that are VOHC  approved/accepted.
VOHC is the Veterinary Oral Health Council.  
So..I went and bought a product called Greenies. They were expensive. I gave them to my dogs expecting that they would gnaw on them for a while, thus helping to reduce tartar and plaque....well, by dogs didn't waste any time gnawing on them, they just quickly chewed them into bite size pieces and swallowed them...!  The whole process took them about 40 seconds. ( I doubt that is the idea. )
Spray, would probably be better if it works.
Does your new product have VOHC approval....?  
Does Giro like it....?   And have you tasted it yet...?
Hi Connie. It doesn't say VOHC approved, but I can't find anything bad reported about it (as yet). The fact that it is all natural products attracted me, but I am holding off saying it's a worthy contender for brushing until I have tried it. The idea, from what I can gather, is that you put one drop on a front tooth and the dogs then licks his lips (thereby spreading the gel with saliva around his mouth). They advise putting this on the tooth after the last meal at night so it has overnight to work on the teeth. They also suggest 1 drop a day everyday for 30 days, then reducing to 2 drops every 3 or 4 days thereafter.

It is apparently suitable for both dogs and cats. Er no, I haven't actually tasted it myself, though it smells quite minty. I have tried Giro with it today for the first time and he seemed to enjoy it (quite different from our weekly wrestling match with a brush).

Before today I have given DentiStix occasionally as a treat, but Giro seems much the same as yours, destroying them within seconds. Ha.

I'll keep you informed about how this 'trial' goes, unless someone says the product or one of the ingredients are not good. Tony
aaaaw...come on Tony....Taste it...!
Inquiring minds want to know......!
Be Brave...just do it...!
Ha. Oh ok ... well, it tastes of mint. Quite nice actually, better than my toothpaste anyway.
I might try to get that. I hate brushing my dog's teeth, basically because I know she hates it. She clamps her jaws shut for a start, and because se has slight overbite the bottom ones at the back, and her bottom canines I know don't get done properly. Then she licks furiously when I do the front ones, so I don't think any of the toothpaste gets on them!
I've been using Virbac. I get it at the vet's.
But I wouldn't mind trying an all-natural one. The trouble with her is she is a bit fussy about flavours. She completely freaked once when I gave her diluted Rescue Remedy so I don't quite know what she'd do with mint! Once I was sucking a mint and hugged her, and she smelled my breath and took off out into the garden looking at me with horror!
Ha. Well, it's not expensive, so worth a try, and having found a website for it (naturalpromise.com) I discover once applied, brushing will speed up the tartar removal, though it claims it will still work without brushing, just taking longer. The idea is to put one drop on each tooth affected by plaque, ideally last thing at night or at least 30 minutes before or after food, once daily. So far so good with my dog Giro, who now sits quite happily to have his teeth done before retiring for the night. Mind you, Giro is the most submissive dog I have ever had. If he had a thumb, I'm sure I could get him to use the bathroom and brush his own teeth himself. Ha. Tony