Dogs Community
Neck Pain in Dachshund

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Neck Pain in Dachshund

Hi. For the past week, my dog has had short bouts of trembling and spasms in his neck area. Took him to the vet and while he moved his neck left, right, and up, he became very rigid and tense when the vet tried to move his neck down. She prescribed a pain reliever, muscle relaxer, and a steroid for inflammation. My dog has an appetite, can walk, and use the bathroom on his own. The only time he's in pain is when the spasms start. They last about 5 minutes and he just positions himself with his neck resting upward until the trembling goes away.  This is my first dog and I'm not sure if this will go away with more rest or if this is a sign of life threatening illness.  Thanks for your reply.
My first thought is IVDD.....Google IVDD (Interverabral Disk/Disc Disease).....The Doxie is the #1 breed to develop this disease......There are many ways to start now to avoid future issues.....Karla