Dogs Community
Need Help/ advice for dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Need Help/ advice for dog

I have an 8 year old small dog, about a month ago he was seen an hada pericardial effusion, since then it has returned and was drained this time was blood not just fluid. A few days ago it had returned this time all blood again and much more fluid and fluid had to be drained from around his lungs and belly. He home now on some Yunnan Baiyao & Tamadol. He has been eating some baby food and treats he wags his tail however this time he is very tired and sort of does not want to play or even have me around next to him but he likes to see I am in the room. Anyway I am a mess I dont know what to do the vet said there is a surgery that can remove the pericardium however he does not really think its best because he said it could be cancer of the heart and if it is it would be a waste and hard on the dog. I have the weekend to think byt my dogs gums are still pale very very light pink and his mood is really down. I dont know what to do, whats hard is I trust his Dr. however he is only 8 and no one has said what is wrong with him they dont see cancer on xrays or ultrasound. I am so scared to put him down and not sure if it would be the right choice. Any adivce?  Anyone ever had to go through something like this. Prayers & Thanks to you
Believe me you are doing all you can for your dog. I would listen to your Vet or if you are really in doubt, maybe talk to a Vet Hosipital? Regardless it sounds your dogs heart is not well and hopefully he is not suffering. You need to ask these questions about his xrays and ultrasound. You are doing amazing for your dog. I wish I could have done more for my Jack, who died at only 4 years old, he was always so sick. His liver gave out on him. Believe me, I understand what you are going through, but you are doing all you can. I will pray for you and your good dog. Dogs are family for sure and I know he loves you and you are doing your best.
Hello- Thank you so much for your loving words and I am sorry to hear about your Jack. It is hard I have not been to a hospital we can not get an appointment soon enough but our dog has been seen by a Cardi Dr. he is the one who has stated even though they can not see the cancer all the signs are there and last time sort of told me just to enjoy the weekend with him.

It is so hard I got him to some baby food today and  he gets these bursts of playful ness but are short lived.

I also hope he is not suffering, I honestly can not tell. I can tell he is tired and his color in the gums is not improving. I am waiting for my partner to come home and so is my dog it is so sad he has just been sleeping by the front door.

Lord give me strenght and my dog.

Thanks for your responce, it hepls me
So now my dog stil lseems very lathargic and eating has curtained and I have not seen him drink any water today. Its so hard I dont know  if i should take him in  today or wait to see if he gets better after resting tonight. Heavy sigh
OK, I think you are doing what needs to be done. You are good person and your dog could not be in better hands. I will say a pray for you.
I am very sorry to hear of your dog....what a difficult time this must be for you.
I know you are saying that the Doc thinks it may be cancer, although nothing shows up on the xray or ultrasounds.  I feel a little crazy asking this, but....has the dog been checked for heartworms....?  I would want him checked for heartworms.....I would also ask the vet why they don't think it is CHF  (chronic heart failure )..... What type of testing and lab work...leads them to the diagnosis of cancer.   These are some questions I would want answered just so I could be more agreeable with the possible diagnosis of cancer.
You and your dog will be in my thoughts and prayers......( as you were last night )....Please let us know how things are going....
Connie
oooops...CHF = Congestive..Heart..Failure.

Thank you for your prayers you little one looks just like mine. The dog has been checked for Heart worms  all negative. The CHF was just told when the pericardial sack fills up it can cause right sided heart failure. I still have no idea what to do there is asurgery very risky and open heart however was told if they open him up and its cancer I guess they could see then, then I might have to put  him down there and that if not dogs can live a couple months and best up to two years, however his cardio dr is really not advising it. Yesturday and so far today seem to be great days for him he is eating more playful less tired. I am just enjoying my time together and thankful I have this holiday time with him. I just wish I had a more definate diagnois however they said MRI or CAT scan would be pointless since they show nothing, h ehas had countless xrays and ultrasounds. Thanks again everyone :-)
Hi again...I'm glad to hear your dog is having some good days.
Have you tried posting this  in the... Cancer in Pets Forum.... ( on this website )maybe someone there has had an experience with this that they are willing to share....?
Maybe they have some insight for you.
In the meantime, I will keep an eye on this post....please let me know how things are going for both of you.....
More prayers headed your way.....
Connie
Hi- Thank you for the info about the other forum I will post something. Yeah yesturday was a great day other animals and people were around and  my baby was likea puppy today he has been resting all day so I am just keeping a watchful eye.