I have a 4 year old Chihuahua who I have had since he was 6 weeks old. I know that is normally too young to be taken away from their mother but I received him as a birthday present and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was told when he was about 2 years old that he had a heart murmur, but then when I moved back to PA, and took him to a vet around here, they never said a word about the heart murmur until the next visit and I asked how is his murmur is, that is when she also stated that he has a heart murmur. I finally was able to take him to the heart doctor about this. $400.00 later, I was told I have nothing to worry about, just need to watch his breathing and that it would be fine to have him neutered. I struggle with this because as vet stated if he is not neutered he could get cancer, and have problems. I went to the Heart Vet to get the ok, for I was worried about his heart and the asthenias. He is alright to have the surgery, but I am worried it will change his personality, and scared to death that because he is only 4lbs. and has this heart murmur that he would not make it is it worth it to have this surgery and take the chance of cancer? Are the chances that bad if he is not neutered? I know I should of never waited this long, but I am 28 and do not have a lot of money so I had to wait for the Heart Vet before I started to think about this. I read that being neutered is more about not over populating? Any advice. I am just a scared Mom, but also want him around and if being neutered is really something he should have I want to know.
Well, apparently incidents of prostate cancer can occur in BOTH neutered and non-neutered dogs. I had an "entire" male dog who did develop prostate cancer age 14. (after living a full, very healthy, very happy life) I was told by the vet when I asked "Is there anything I could have done to prevent this?" -that to have him neutered would have helped.
Yet now I have learned it can occur in both EQUALLY. (I honestly don't know what to believe!)
Testicular cancer has a slight increased risk in "entire" males....but is not necessarily a terrible problem. Removal of the testis involved usually does the trick if that were to occur.
Under your circumstances it might be wiser to not worry too much about neutering him. But that is of course, only my opinion.
I had an english bulldog that had serious heart problems and could not be spayed (or have any other surgeries). It was a pain due to having to deal with the heat cycles, secondary infections from the heat cycles because of a compromised immune system, and worrying about pyo and breast cancer. That said, she was an extreme case and most of the hassle was due to her being female.
The decision is going to have to be yours of course, but I would consider not doing the surgery at this time. If anything else occurs and you *have* to put your dog under anesthesia you could possibly 'add on' the neutering then since it is an easier surgery in males.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.